The Retreat
April 20, 2024, 12:02:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Retreat.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The Twitter Spelling Test

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The Twitter Spelling Test  (Read 327 times)
injest
Administrator

« on: December 24, 2010, 07:49:39 am »

You scored: 90% (A-)

http://theoatmeal.com/quiz/twitter_spell
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

min

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 08:38:13 am »

95% - spelled wierd weird incorrectly... Cheesy Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
huntinbuddy

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 08:40:04 am »

Thank Gawd for all the neat tools that are available to us would be writers.....I got 80% a B-minus  Shocked

But in my defense, I hurried, and didn't use the Webster's which I keep right by this computer at all times!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 08:51:55 am »

95% - spelled wierd weird incorrectly... Cheesy Cheesy

woo hoo!! go Lily!
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 08:52:35 am »

Thank Gawd for all the neat tools that are available to us would be writers.....I got 80% a B-minus  Shocked

But in my defense, I hurried, and didn't use the Webster's which I keep right by this computer at all times!  Grin

hey now...we is using the honor system! no cheatin'!!

Wink Cheesy Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
huntinbuddy

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 09:22:02 am »

hey now...we is using the honor system! no cheatin'!!

Wink Cheesy Cheesy

For my serious writing, and when I need to know all the 'rules' of this crazy language we call English, I still use my 1979, Third Edition of "The Elements of Style" written of course by William Strunk Jr. & E.B. White.  Anyone who writes, especially for a living (which is not me obviously) should use this excellent little book.
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 09:22:55 am »

For my serious writing, and when I need to know all the 'rules' of this crazy language we call English, I still use my 1979, Third Edition of "The Elements of Style" written of course by William Strunk Jr. & E.B. White.  Anyone who writes, especially for a living (which is not me obviously) should use this excellent little book.

I think I HAVE that book!

somewhere....
Report Spam   Logged
huntinbuddy

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 09:40:18 am »

I think I HAVE that book!

somewhere....

Oh it's excellent, however, quite technical in its own right.  For example, here is rule 11 of the Elementary Rules of Usage...

11.  A participial phrase at the beginning of a sentence must refer to the grammatical subject.

Strunk & White go on to explain it this way.....

"Participial phrases preceded by a conjunction or by a preposition, nouns in apposition, adjectives, and adjective phrases come under the same rule if they begin the sentence."

Most folks if they see something like this can only say....wtf  Huh Huh Huh

Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 11:17:12 am »

Oh it's excellent, however, quite technical in its own right.  For example, here is rule 11 of the Elementary Rules of Usage...

11.  A participial phrase at the beginning of a sentence must refer to the grammatical subject.

Strunk & White go on to explain it this way.....

"Participial phrases preceded by a conjunction or by a preposition, nouns in apposition, adjectives, and adjective phrases come under the same rule if they begin the sentence."

Most folks if they see something like this can only say....wtf  Huh Huh Huh

yeah, that's what I say!

HUH?
Report Spam   Logged
MustLoveDogs
dog lover

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 12:40:20 pm »

A participial phrase at the beginning of a sentence must refer to the grammatical subject.

I teach all that in 8th grade English---now ask me if they remember it. No, for the most part,they don't. Their subsequent teachers tell me they are oblivious. Tongue I know most people just write and don't think about the terms of the structures they are using, but here are some examples that I would give for those rules:

Participial phrase: Searching for the toy, Mom looked in several rooms.  "Searching for the toy" is the participial phrase (begins with the present participle part of the verb "search", but used to modify...because the verb for that sentence is "looked"). "Searching for the toy" refers to "Mom", the subject of the sentence.

Participial phrase preceded by a preposition: Upon finding the toy, Mom received a hug from Tommy. (Still refers to "Mom").

Participial phrase preceded by a conjunction: Mom searched for the toy and upon finding it, she received a hug from Tommy. (This doesn't actually illustrate the rule--that would be: And upon finding it, Mom, who had searched for the toy, received a hug from Tommy....but in formal writing it is usually best not to start a sentence with a conjunction.)

Nouns in apposition: Mom, the one who found the toy, received a hug from Tommy. ("one" refers to the subject...Mom.)

Adjectives: Tired and sweaty, Mom searched for the toy. (The adjectives "tired" and "sweaty" refer to the subject, "Mom").

Adjective phrases: Most phrases that begin sentences are adverb phrases. A sentence with an adjective phrase would be: The toy with sentimental value was found by Mom.("with sentimental value" refers to "toy" which is the subject of the sentence.) Does the book give an example for this one?

One of my former students is taking Greek in college. He told me that his professor said that the English language is the most difficult to learn because it has no rhyme or reason when it comes to forming verb parts, it has several words for each thing, and there are so many idioms. LOL. I guess we don't think it's so hard because we just grew up with it.
Report Spam   Logged
huntinbuddy

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 01:37:57 pm »

You would be familiar then with the Strunk & White book.  Is it still considered the 'bible' on English usage, composition and style, or are there better references available?   Myself, I was introduced to this book in my third year of college (1979) in a technical writing class.  It has proven invaluable over the years.   As for writing for profit, I have done some in the past.  In the mid to late 90's I wrote for QUE books.  Not even sure if they are still around, but all the subjects were technical computer type topics.  Many individuals would submit various chapters for some of these books, and the editors would pick the best written, and most easily understood.  I had several selected during the above time frame, and it paid between $400 & $600 for each chapter accepted.  Not bad money.

Now fast forward to the past five years or so.  I have a few works of fiction I have written, and of course, myself, believe them to be damned good.  Smiley   What I don't have is an agent.   Have been reluctant to just send something to a particular publisher for fear it would end up in the trash can.   All indications, at least from what little I know about the business of writing, is you must have an agent.  Any tips or hints you can offer in this arena?
Report Spam   Logged
MustLoveDogs
dog lover

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 02:56:33 pm »

You would be familiar then with the Strunk & White book.  Is it still considered the 'bible' on English usage, composition and style, or are there better references available?   Myself, I was introduced to this book in my third year of college (1979) in a technical writing class.  It has proven invaluable over the years.   As for writing for profit, I have done some in the past.  In the mid to late 90's I wrote for QUE books.  Not even sure if they are still around, but all the subjects were technical computer type topics.  Many individuals would submit various chapters for some of these books, and the editors would pick the best written, and most easily understood.  I had several selected during the above time frame, and it paid between $400 & $600 for each chapter accepted.  Not bad money.

Now fast forward to the past five years or so.  I have a few works of fiction I have written, and of course, myself, believe them to be damned good.  Smiley   What I don't have is an agent.   Have been reluctant to just send something to a particular publisher for fear it would end up in the trash can.   All indications, at least from what little I know about the business of writing, is you must have an agent.  Any tips or hints you can offer in this arena?

I really am not familiar with that book. I guess I should look it up!
That is great that you made extra money with your writing. It's really a talent that can be taught...somewhat, but it is mostly a natural talent. So you are blessed to have that innate ability!
Sorry for my ignorance, but I have no tips on the writing business. I have submitted some things to magazines, greeting cards, etc., years ago -- just on my own...and they've all been rejected.  Tongue  I expect mine was more my fault than the fact that I didn't have an agent. There are probably books that would give advice about making your own submissions vs submitting through an agent.

Good luck! It's gotta be rewarding to have your writing chosen for print. Hope you have more of those experiences! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
MustLoveDogs
dog lover

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 03:01:20 pm »

You scored: 100% (A+)

YaY! (And I didn't google a thing!!)
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 03:15:03 pm »

You scored: 100% (A+)

YaY! (And I didn't google a thing!!)

yeah, but you are a teacher...*Jess looking for ANY excuse for the shellacing she be getting...*

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
MustLoveDogs
dog lover

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 03:41:12 pm »

yeah, but you are a teacher...*Jess looking for ANY excuse for the shellacing she be getting...*

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

LOL!
That's what the kids say.
They'll ask....is this test hard? And I'll say....not if you studied. And they'll say....but you're the teacher. And I'll say....well, you asked me! Tongue

A- is not too shabby, ya know! I'd have been happy to have that in any math class I ever took!!! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum