The Retreat
April 17, 2024, 10:47:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Retreat.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

'Out in America' portrays everyday ways

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Out in America' portrays everyday ways  (Read 80 times)
Milo
Global Moderator

« on: March 08, 2011, 06:16:34 pm »

I saw this posted in the current Daily Sheet over at Do Conform DCF. I can hardly wait to see this documentary.

http://www.oregonlive.com/movies/index.ssf/2011/02/out_in_america_portrays_everyd.html

Horse trainer Mike Hartman isn't all that comfortable being interviewed -- "I think I rattled on that day and probably didn't have a whole lot to say that was beneficial" -- but he was still happy to answer questions and be included in the documentary "Out in America."

The one-hour film, directed, written and produced by Andrew Goldberg, seeks to paint a portrait of lesbian, gay and transgender Americans in their everyday lives.

Hartman, who lives in Woodburn and works with horses on a farm in Eagle Creek, has been the face of rural gay America before. When "Brokeback Mountain" was up for an Oscar, he was interviewed for an article titled "The Real Gay Cowboy" in a publication whose name he can't recall.

"I really didn't understand the big deal," Hartman said, "and to be honest with you, I still don't."

(snip)

And that's kind of the point of "Out in America": To show that not all gay people conform to a "Queer as Folk"-style, hard-partying image. Many of the Americans featured in "Out in America" live not-a-big-deal lives, particularly "the Harolds," a biracial couple in their 80s who have been together for five decades.

Goldberg said too often LGBT people are portrayed in the media in ways that don't mirror the lives of the vast majority.

"The drag queen is the most disproportionately represented person of any," he said. "We see them so frequently and they make up such a minuscule part of the population."

(snip)

As he set to work on the film, Goldberg found himself drawn toward the stories of some older LGBT Americans after many people he talked to said a handsome, 30-year-old white male is the regular face of the LGBT conversation.

(snip)

Hartman has never had such concerns. His story is briefly featured in "Out in America," and more of it may be included in extras on a DVD release later this year. He says in the film he was so busy with work, he never considered that he might be gay until his late 20s after having relationships with women.

"I know how crazy that sounds," Hartman said from a horse show in Scottsdale, Ariz. Despite disapproval from some family members who he remains close to, Hartman said he's felt accepted since moving in 1990 from Idaho to Oregon.

"It hasn't been a big deal. If I've felt kind of uncomfortable in any way, it's more that I don't think I really fit into the gay world as well."
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

injest
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 10:05:06 pm »

oh, I want to see it too...

"It hasn't been a big deal. If I've felt kind of uncomfortable in any way, it's more that I don't think I really fit into the gay world as well."   

there are so many homosexuals that fit this..if only we could let them be the face of the 'gay' in America, gay rights would be so much further along...

Report Spam   Logged
Artiste
artist extraordinaire

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 08:51:32 am »

Merci Milo!
Merci Injess!

I used to watch happily Out in America on Tv and wonder if I still can?

I felt happy to see it and thought: wow, I am not the ONLY gay!!!

I suppose that gays being caught as if there are no other gay man around and not being in the majority (of straights), that one (being homosexual) feels like a battered woman does: depressed and alone? No feeling of joy and can't express yourself... you feel that you are in the dark? Hard to be encouraged being gay and to encourage oneself too??

Au revoir,
hugs!
Report Spam   Logged
Artiste
artist extraordinaire

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 08:53:26 am »

A gay man has insecurities, many?

And many rejections too?

So to be Out in America is to be a Brokeback Mountain man: either Ennis or Jack??
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum