The Retreat
March 28, 2024, 09:10:26 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Retreat.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

"Conservatism" by Philip E. Agre (Presented by Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!)

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: "Conservatism" by Philip E. Agre (Presented by Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!)  (Read 210 times)
injest
Administrator

« on: April 02, 2011, 07:26:01 am »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

has anyone been trying to slog thru the tripe that Marcia, the welfare queen, has been plopping over in "Anything Goes" at Bittermost about conservatism? I would like to refute it if only it made ANY attempt to make a logical argument! It is simply a very bitter and nasty Progressive ranting on (I think he must have been on weed, it has that random quality about it)

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,48928.msg607547/boardseen.html#new

I mean, you KNOW someone is going to give a fair, unbiased report when they start off with this:

Q: What is conservatism?

A: Conservatism is the domination of society by an aristocracy

now a simple glance at a dictionary will tell you that is not a correct definition of conservatism...

it's like me putting out an argument about Texas vs Oklahoma and starting off with:

Q: What is Oklahoma?

A: Oklahoma is a mythical island full of trolls and demons.

when you start off openly admitting you are lying and have an agenda, why would anyone give your little treatise a second glance? The only people that would are people like Marcia who are so bitter and disenfranchised from her long years of trying to be Miss Hippy Chick only to wind up alone and 'broke' instead of as the overlord she longs to be.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

injest
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 07:34:53 am »

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/aristocracy

Aristocracy:

A hereditary ruling class; nobility.

Government by a ruling class.
A state or country having this form of government.

Government by the citizens deemed to be best qualified to lead.
A state having such a government.
A group or class considered superior to others.

now look back over the past three years...who is it that has been telling the American people that they know better than them how they should live? Let's see...Obama? "Bitter, clinging to guns and Bibles"..."They can come along but they will have to sit in the back", etc...Michelle? "Americans are eating wrong and I'll tell them what they will eat"...ANY member of the Cabal mocking Tea Party members as stupid...

so it sounds to me like "aristocracy" is a word that best describes Progressives, not Tea Party members!

Conservatism

The inclination, especially in politics, to maintain the existing or traditional order.
A political philosophy or attitude emphasizing respect for traditional institutions, distrust of government activism, and opposition to sudden change in the established order.
Conservatism The principles and policies of the Conservative Party in the United Kingdom or of the Progressive Conservative Party in Canada.
Caution or moderation, as in behavior or outlook.

Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 07:38:11 am »

so basically it is a straw man argument, I am not sure what this hack thought he was going to accomplish; if all his writing is like this, it's no wonder he is still just a rote college professor. No one outside egghead college students and Progressives would listen to him...(and the students are just taking the classes for the grades, he can't be that difficult a professor to get a good grade from..he's not the brightest bulb in the chandelier based on this hot mess)

Report Spam   Logged
CoyotePiper

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 11:02:30 pm »

I started reading through the Philip Agre piece a couple of days ago. It made me upset. I stopped reading it as it was simply too poisonous. The BM poster Marge also seems obsessed with her hatred of conservatives. Why is this? I don't hate liberals or leftists, I simply disagree with them and follow my own drummer. What is this sickness that is a part and parcel of the liberal mindset. What is this screaming mercilous hatred of all things not progressive?

I stopped offering opinions over on BM and now just comment on neutral topics. Its tough enough being gay without being swooped down on by other gayfolk for not being liberal. Its not just BM either, although I find their policy a little puzzling as they claim the site is founded on principles of inclusiveness.
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 11:11:46 pm »

I started reading through the Philip Agre piece a couple of days ago. It made me upset. I stopped reading it as it was simply too poisonous. The BM poster Marge also seems obsessed with her hatred of conservatives. Why is this? I don't hate liberals or leftists, I simply disagree with them and follow my own drummer. What is this sickness that is a part and parcel of the liberal mindset. What is this screaming mercilous hatred of all things not progressive?

I stopped offering opinions over on BM and now just comment on neutral topics. Its tough enough being gay without being swooped down on by other gayfolk for not being liberal. Its not just BM either, although I find their policy a little puzzling as they claim the site is founded on principles of inclusiveness.

oh, you missed the worst of it, back last year they instituted a policy of 'civility' which allowed the moderators to enact the "Animal Farm" method of moderation...all posters were equal, but some were more equal than others, conservatives are placed on 'posting vacations' for 'incivility'....no liberal was EVER given a single vacation regardless of the smears and personal attacks they made. As long as they thought they were 'winning', threads would go for days with attack after attack, and as soon as the conservatives scored a point, the mods would run in, close the thread and reprimand the conservatives...all of the conservatives except Milo and Brad have left them.

I was banned outright, after I challenged the town administrator, Clarissa for reading my pms and altering my profile...

Phillip abandoned Bettermost a couple of years ago and left that vipers nest of bitter women to run the place...and they did, right into the crapper. Look at their stats, over the past two years, they have managed to bring the post count down from tens of thousands a month to less than five thousand.
Report Spam   Logged
CoyotePiper

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 01:05:36 am »

Phillip the founder? abandoned BM? You mean he doesn't run it anymore? I was unaware of that. Hmmm, that would put a different light on things. I clearly remember Phillip making a point at BM's founding that it would be a place of inclusiveness and welcoming to any and all. And that no trolling would be tolerated.

Reading hate filled posts like the P. Agre piece , and the poster 'Marge' s often upsetting opinions  on conservatives is exactly the opposite of those principals.
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 08:11:30 am »

Phillip the founder? abandoned BM? You mean he doesn't run it anymore? I was unaware of that. Hmmm, that would put a different light on things. I clearly remember Phillip making a point at BM's founding that it would be a place of inclusiveness and welcoming to any and all. And that no trolling would be tolerated.

Reading hate filled posts like the P. Agre piece , and the poster 'Marge' s often upsetting opinions  on conservatives is exactly the opposite of those principals.

yes when he was actively running the place, he kept the moderators in check. I am not sure that he didn't leave because they executed a coup...the woman he put in as admin openly admitted that she looked at being a moderator as a chance to redress some 'wrongs' she had suffered as a teenager.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

remember, I was a moderator myself there for a couple of years, you wouldn't believe the vitriol that was spewed in the Administrative threads...I think Phillip just gave up. The election (and his unwillingness to rein in the moderators) destroyed the 'family' feel of Bettermost..up to that point, it WAS like a family...and just like any family there were those that got along, and those that didn't..you could just avoid the ones you didn't like. After the elections started, conservatives couldn't even post in their own blog threads without being hounded and moderated..

take a look at this 'introduction' of the new rules of Bettermost...

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,31387.0.html

Report Spam   Logged
huntinbuddy

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 11:10:24 am »

Marge and I suspect many others are over at Dave Cullen also, and it also is headed to the crapper; if not already there.  And it's the same thing....you try to voice a conservative opinion, and you are attacked from all sides. 
Report Spam   Logged
MagicM

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 07:39:05 pm »

Marge and I suspect many others are over at Dave Cullen also, and it also is headed to the crapper; if not already there.  And it's the same thing....you try to voice a conservative opinion, and you are attacked from all sides. 

This is unfortunately a microcosm of life in general these days HB.

As we see every day, conservative commentators on TV, radio and newspaper and on the Internet are regularly traduced and often even compared with Nazis. We are truth sayers and it seems the truth is often too painful and uncomfortable to hear.
Report Spam   Logged

“Beauties in vain their pretty eyes may roll; charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.”  Alexander Pope
injest
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 08:14:57 pm »

This is unfortunately a microcosm of life in general these days HB.

As we see every day, conservative commentators on TV, radio and newspaper and on the Internet are regularly traduced and often even compared with Nazis. We are truth sayers and it seems the truth is often too painful and uncomfortable to hear.

we are entering a world very much like the one Orwell warned us of...where stifling free speech is seen as 'good conscience'...where it is put forth that it is ok to steal if the majority feel that the person in question has 'too much' regardless of how he got it (note no one is protesting in Bill Gates front yard complaining HE has stolen from the poor people)..where words are forbidden and new words put in their place...it's not a 'war', it's a 'kinetic military action'..

up is down, left is right..and all who don't get with the program are denigrated and marginalized.
Report Spam   Logged
Milo
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 08:18:35 pm »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

has anyone been trying to slog thru the tripe that Marcia, the welfare queen, has been plopping over in "Anything Goes" at Bittermost about conservatism?

Nope. I have no interest in the whining political venom of a computer geek with no balls.
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 08:23:20 pm »

Nope. I have no interest in the whining political venom of a computer geek with no balls.

but...but..he has a COLLEGE degree! he HAS to be right!! Every word a pearl of wisdom!
Report Spam   Logged
Milo
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 08:46:58 pm »

And it's the same thing....you try to voice a conservative opinion, and you are attacked from all sides. 

Yep. And I'm big enough, black enough, and ugly enough to stand up and call them on their bullshit. Let them sling their piddly toothpicks at me. The likes of Marge, et al. have buijlt a house of cards on a breezy beachfront. All I have to do is stand my ground and watch the wind and waves wipe them out. Gary, Ian, Karen, Gil, Jeff, Marge, Weezy Roux, and the rest...all failed at getting me removed from BM based on my "internal homophobia." Why? Because they were full of shit from start to finish, and the decision-makers all knew it. Some of them have left BM altogether. Good riddence to bad rubbish. Others have me on "ignore." Passive-aggressive behavior like that is dishonorable, and deserves to be ignored. Still others choose not to engage with me. Fine...let those cowards find comfort in their dark, cozy, little corners.

I'm still standing.
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 08:51:57 pm »

yep, banning a ol country girl wasn't a problem for the powers that be...

I was too little, too white and too straight for goodness sake! no redeeming qualities at all!

Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Milo
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 09:14:11 pm »

yep, banning a ol country girl wasn't a problem for the powers that be...

I was too little, too white and too straight for goodness sake! no redeeming qualities at all!

Wink

Now, Jess, you know I didn't mean it like that. You were unjustly castigated over there. I had a different set of roadblocks to deal with than you did, and they were roadblocks I could navigate. I don't know if I would have fared as well if I were confronted with the same roadblocks as you.

Don't let them chip away at your self-worth. What they did to you was bicthy and unjust, and I will not forgive them for what they have done, nor will I forget. Forgiveness is God's job, not mine. And considering the fact that many of them don't believe in God means that they neither want nor will they recieve any forgiveness.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum