The Retreat
March 28, 2024, 05:06:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Retreat.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

100 Things Your Kids May Never Know About

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: 100 Things Your Kids May Never Know About  (Read 349 times)
min

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 12:37:05 am »

Cheesy Cheesy  Yeah, like:

Daisy chaining your SCSI devices and making sure they’ve all got a different ID.

Huh  Undecided  Huh  Undecided

Yeah that's got me puzzled as well.  But this list sure made me feel a bit on the old side... Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
JudgeHolden
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 01:51:18 am »

An SCSI is like a larger, clunkier version of a USB, that port you plug your memory sticks into to upload your photos and whatnot. It workss the same, its a way of connecting external devices like scanners, printers etc to your computer. Its not exactly obsolete technology in the way that dot-matrix printers and DOS driven programs are considered obsolete (though those are still in surprisingly wide use in specific applications). But it is on the way out as Serial-ATA replaces it, and thats basically a system that performs the same function, in a smaller, faster package, so you can compute on a slim laptop what ten years ago would of required a big desktop to handle.
Report Spam   Logged
twtplanner
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 08:47:04 am »

Hmm. I'm thinkin' back then in Woodward county, all you had to do was pick up the big black phone receiver, and Sarah would drawl, "Nuuumbaaa Pleeeeeuz"   Grin

When you had strings and tin cans, you didn't need a 'Sarah.'   Cheesy

And....we were on a 'party line.'  I can still recall sitting in the kitchen, picking up the phone and hearing a bit of the neighbors conversations.  They didn't take too kindly to that.  (rightfully so...)   Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
McNell

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 09:35:47 am »

I remember when you could dial your own number then hang up real fast and your phone would ring...

got a whooping over that one from my aunt once....

what a meanie!!  Angry Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.....I never did such things
Report Spam   Logged
McNell

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 09:39:14 am »

I always wanted to know what would happen when you dialed 911 and hang up.....hmmmm....found out REAL quick though.....dad lookin at me with those EYES!! cops calling back....whewwwww...NEVER did that again

when my son did that when he was little....I got mad and couldn't believe it,was so embarrassed when the cop showed up on my door step wanting to know if things were ok.....I forgot all about it...wasn't mad no more...Lord, he was sooo cute!!   Grin
Report Spam   Logged
McNell

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 09:44:48 am »

remember some guy going from door to door in your neighborhood selling encyclopedias? (sp)...my dad bought them...and STILL has them...once in awhile I look thru them and get a good laugh...my kids couldn't believe we relied on them for our school work...lol
Report Spam   Logged
McNell

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 09:51:07 am »

ahhh...another good memory is throwing your rubber ball against your steps and catching it with your mit. We didn't need two people to play catch

making mud pies

Atari

laying on your back outside counting stars (in the city that was a treat)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum