The Retreat
March 28, 2024, 08:07:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Retreat.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

34 hospitalized after co-worker sprays perfume

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 34 hospitalized after co-worker sprays perfume  (Read 143 times)
injest
Administrator

« on: July 30, 2009, 05:56:29 pm »

It WOULD have to be in Texas.... Roll Eyes

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32211539/?GT1=43001

FORT WORTH, Texas - At first, fire officials suspected that carbon monoxide or some other toxic fumes had sickened almost 150 people at a Texas bank call center.

It turned out that perfume was to blame.

MedStar ambulance spokeswoman Lara Kohl says 34 people were taken to hospitals, 12 by ambulance, after reporting dizziness and shortness of breath Wednesday at a Bank of America call center in Fort Worth. Medics treated 110 at the scene.

Fort Worth fire Lt. Kent Worley says the incident started with two people complaining about dizziness after a co-worker sprayed perfume. Others reported being sick when an announcement was made that anyone with similar symptoms should exit the building.

Investigators do not know what type of perfume was sprayed.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

min

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 12:21:50 am »

FORT WORTH, Texas - At first, fire officials suspected that carbon monoxide or some other toxic fumes had sickened almost 150 people at a Texas bank call center.

MedStar ambulance spokeswoman Lara Kohl says 34 people were taken to hospitals, 12 by ambulance, after reporting dizziness and shortness of breath Wednesday at a Bank of America call center in Fort Worth. Medics treated 110 at the scene.

Fort Worth fire Lt. Kent Worley says the incident started with two people complaining about dizziness after a co-worker sprayed perfume. Others reported being sick when an announcement was made that anyone with similar symptoms should exit the building.

So did this person just go around spraying perfume like it was an air freshener?  It isn't quite clear from the news article (well not for me anyways).  I know some perfumes can be quite overpowering if sprayed in large doses, and some people are allergic.
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 12:24:02 am »

I am allergic to most perfumes...I was in a store one time and someone sprayed me..

I had to drive all the way home and wash my hair and change clothes.. Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
min

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 12:44:34 am »

I am allergic to most perfumes...I was in a store one time and someone sprayed me..

I had to drive all the way home and wash my hair and change clothes.. Tongue

Oh dear...that is so maddening...why don't people ask first?  It just seems so impolite to just go up to someone and spray them without their permission...  Huh
Report Spam   Logged
Arcadianmemories
Honorary Vice President
cat lover

salvation thru star trek

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 04:12:15 pm »

I am glad I am way up here and missing that big stink down in Fort Worth.

This is too funny, how could any perfume cause hospitalization? Doesn't the FDA run tests on all products for sale to see if they are harmful?
Report Spam   Logged
MagicM

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 07:22:40 pm »

I have heard of other cases of mass dizziness not associated with perfume. Sometimes this can be a mass phenomenon not caused by anything physical. The public announcement possibly set it off.
Report Spam   Logged

“Beauties in vain their pretty eyes may roll; charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.”  Alexander Pope
MustLoveDogs
dog lover

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 09:30:24 pm »

That is kind of stupid to me. And suspect. I think they just don't want to get sued by the perfume company. If it was that bad, wouldn't they want the public to be aware so that others wouldn't get sick?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum