The Retreat
March 29, 2024, 02:29:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Retreat.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

"World's Worst Place to Be Gay" Documentary

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "World's Worst Place to Be Gay" Documentary  (Read 129 times)
injest
Administrator

« on: January 11, 2013, 06:31:01 pm »

has anyone seen this? it's an hour long but very interesting. Makes you think really about how people complain about how intolarant we are here in America but things could be sooo much worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV0tS6G8NNU&feature=player_embedded
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Artiste
artist extraordinaire

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 08:42:55 am »

Merci Injess,

Yes, that danger is there.

We all need to know...

www.langdonart.com
Report Spam   Logged
Milo
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 05:18:34 pm »

I finally watched this whole video. I saw the first 10 minutes of it back when Jess originally posted it, but I was in the middle of a project at the time, and I kinda forgot about it.

- I think the biggest thing for me is to see how truly fucked up Uganda is. I remember Idi Amin and the atrocities he committed. I also remember how he screwed up the government and economy of Uganda.

- Scott accurately places blame for the anti-homosexuality in Uganda on the type of Christianity that is practiced there. He is also accurate when he says that in the past, homosexuality was widely accepted across all of Africa. But Scott leaves a couple of key elements out. One is the influence of Islam on the way people there think. In spite of the fact that they are vehemently Christian, the Islamic prohibition on homosexuality plays a role in confirming their beliefs on the topic. This was mentioned only once, and by the older reverend that Scott interviewed on the balcony.

- Another key element at work here is the anti-western sentiments of Ugandan's (and citizens of other African nations). Scott forgets how strong anti-Colonialism was not even 50 years ago. Those older Africans didn't want anything to do with European ideas, and certainly nothing to do with European lifestyles. Several times, people told Scott that homosexuality was "un-African," yet he didn't really explore that angle. I would say that for him to repeat how open the English are to homosexuality displays a level of blind arrogance, and probably served to further cement anti-homo feelings in the people with whom he spoke.

- For a while, I was thinking that the problem for sexual minorities in Uganda was that they had adopted the western gay concept of being "out & proud." But the more I watched this, the more I came to realize that even living in the closet--or on the down-low--would not work in Uganda. Not when the act itself is considered so socially reprehensible, and illegal.

- I would have thought that Ugandan's would have bigger fish to fry, and that homosexuality would not be such a big priority for them. But then I have to remember that people who don't have control of much, will cling to things they think they can control.

- As for the sexual minorities living there, the only solution I can see for them is to leave. The gay community here in the west is terribly fond of telling stories like this, but I don't any organization doing anything to get these people out. It shouldn't be too difficult to make a case for asylum, and treat these people as refugees.

- I found Scott to be annoying sometimes. When you're making a documentary, the viewer wants to focus on the subject matter, not on the emotions of the filmmaker. His behavior in the radio studio was the worst of it.

- The witch doctor scene was funny as shit!!

- I am glad that Scott left Uganda with a better sense of what sexual minorities in other parts of the world face. I think every gay person here in the west should see this video, and realize just how good we have it. Maybe it will lead to less whining.
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 07:40:17 pm »

- I am glad that Scott left Uganda with a better sense of what sexual minorities in other parts of the world face. I think every gay person here in the west should see this video, and realize just how good we have it. Maybe it will lead to less whining.

I wish people would realize the difference between real oppression and mere inconvenience or hurt feelings. I wonder how these people would feel if they heard the biggest problem in someones life is whether they were allowed to wear a dress to the prom when they are in hiding for their lifes just for existing.

and yes, the witch doctor scene was hilarious! I think they were just having him on..
Report Spam   Logged
Artiste
artist extraordinaire

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 09:06:36 am »

And that is not the only country with such murdering of gays and of others in Africa?

www.langdonart.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahu0AwX6xck&NR=1&feature=endscreen
Report Spam   Logged
Milo
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 09:16:13 pm »

I was just watching a PBS series on Catholicism. They mentioned that in 1885, there was a mission in Uganda. The king at the time was seeking sexual favors from the missionaries. When they refused to comply, the king had these men killed en masse.
Report Spam   Logged
fritzkep

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 09:55:28 pm »

They are honored as saints now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uganda_Martyrs

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum