The Retreat
March 28, 2024, 05:18:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Retreat.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Men need to meet up with friends twice a week..

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Men need to meet up with friends twice a week..  (Read 141 times)
Milo
Global Moderator

« on: October 29, 2013, 04:45:07 pm »

Men need to meet up with friends twice a week for a brew (or a brawl) to stay healthy: U.K. study
Amy Stubbs | 22/10/13 | Last Updated: 22/10/13 4:39 PM ET

Robin Dunbar (infamous for “the Dunbar Number” and his work on friendships), director of Oxford University’s social and evolutionary neuroscience research group, is very specific with his prescription: Men must physically meet with four friends, two times a week, in order to reap the benefits of male friendship. Those benefits, in addition to general health, include faster recovery times when faced with illnesses, and even higher levels of generosity.

http://life.nationalpost.com/2013/10/22/men-need-to-meet-up-with-friends-for-a-brew-or-a-brawl-to-stay-healthy-u-k-study/
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

MagicM

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 01:13:47 am »

Well women need to get together at any old time just to obtain some remote understanding of what they go through in life lol. That must have some health benefits attached it too! Grin
Report Spam   Logged

“Beauties in vain their pretty eyes may roll; charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.”  Alexander Pope
Milo
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 05:39:50 am »

Well women need to get together at any old time just to obtain some remote understanding of what they go through in life lol. That must have some health benefits attached it too! Grin

Oh, I don't doubt that for a minute.

I just think that while girls-night-out is generally looked on as a positive, boys-night-out is generally viewed with suspicion.
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 07:20:20 am »

Oh, I don't doubt that for a minute.

I just think that while girls-night-out is generally looked on as a positive, boys-night-out is generally viewed with suspicion.

that's because generally, girl's night out isn't about strip clubs, gambling away the family's savings or alcohol fueled 'Hey, watch this!"s... Grin
Report Spam   Logged
bradINblue

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 06:01:26 pm »

that's because generally, girl's night out isn't about strip clubs, gambling away the family's savings or alcohol fueled 'Hey, watch this!"s... Grin

Yeah, 'girl's nights' sound kinda BORING........... Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The Maker keeps making but I finally broke through. I love you Steve.
MagicM

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 11:13:56 pm »

Well girls are into binge drinking now - not just the guys. And they also like to go out on the ran tan nightclubbing around Kings Cross near where I live (see pic).

Not being a drinker, John likes to sit around with some mates, have a coffee and GOSSIP.

You may not realise that talking with your female chums can be an exciting and drama-filled experience a lot of the time! LOL

PS

For many years the Australian custom at social do's was for men to stand around at one end of the room and women at the other. Was/is it the same in the US? John used to exploit this (to him) strange custom to get in among the girls without any competition as the blokes would all be at the other end.
Report Spam   Logged

“Beauties in vain their pretty eyes may roll; charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.”  Alexander Pope
injest
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 07:08:22 am »

Well girls are into binge drinking now - not just the guys. And they also like to go out on the ran tan nightclubbing around Kings Cross near where I live (see pic).

on the ran tan??

You may not realise that talking with your female chums can be an exciting and drama-filled experience a lot of the time! LOL

oh lort yes...your whole social set could change in one evening! Say the wrong thing, confess to too much and the next thing you know, no one calls you for outings anymore and avoids you at functions! Guys can get drunk, puke their guts out all over their friend's truck, get them arrested and the next week, they're right back at it like nothing happened..

You rarely see men getting huffy over the gossip from the poker game..

PS

For many years the Australian custom at social do's was for men to stand around at one end of the room and women at the other. Was/is it the same in the US? John used to exploit this (to him) strange custom to get in among the girls without any competition as the blokes would all be at the other end.

that's been my experience. It's the same with the horse show circuit, guys AND girls do rodeos and team pennings and such but the vast majority of people in the horse show world here are female...the few straight guys that do it have it good though, they can pick and choose!
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 07:09:48 am »

I was thinking about you when I wrote that last bit about the 'HEY, hold my beer and watch this' part!

I just didn't want to call you out or nothing... Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum