The Retreat
April 18, 2024, 07:26:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Retreat.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The American soul

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The American soul  (Read 134 times)
MagicM

« on: December 14, 2013, 06:52:18 am »

Interesting contrast between two presidents - and what do you guys make of that quote by DH Lawrence at the top of the page?

http://neveryetmelted.com/2009/08/01/two-different-presidents/
Report Spam   Logged

“Beauties in vain their pretty eyes may roll; charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.”  Alexander Pope

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

injest
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 10:24:20 am »

Interesting contrast between two presidents - and what do you guys make of that quote by DH Lawrence at the top of the page?

http://neveryetmelted.com/2009/08/01/two-different-presidents/

what to say about it?

Americans are trash, mean and vicious and theives from birth.

at least that's what Obama and the rest of the world want to pound into our heads. There are a few of us though that remember otherwise.

they're rewriting our history for us and we, out of tolerance and kindheartedness, are allowing it. We have given our blood and our children to defend other countries only to see those other countries turn on us like animals. Fine, but you know what? I hope the American heart never 'melts'..because the American heart is what the world needs.

We still are the country that talks of building a fence to keep people OUT, not in like so many other countries do. We are still the country that the world looks to when there is a disaster or a war. Like pi dogs, the rest of the world barks then hides behind our fighting men.

and the rest of the world will be sorry when we go...because just like there's no where for US to run to..they'll be no one for them to run to either. Evil walks this earth...good luck dealing with it without us. The dark ages can and will come back.
Report Spam   Logged
Milo
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 10:35:47 pm »

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."

Good. I'll stick with that.
Report Spam   Logged
MagicM

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 03:07:32 am »

the American heart is what the world needs

I'll go with that ......
Report Spam   Logged

“Beauties in vain their pretty eyes may roll; charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.”  Alexander Pope
MagicM

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 07:28:59 am »

I was intrigued to find out how the English were viewed by various commentators down the ages. Compliments were thin on the ground I fear:

"England is nothing but the last ward of the European madhouse, and quite possibly it will prove to be the ward for particularly violent cases."

"The people are bold, courageous, ardent and cruel in war. But very inconstant, rash, vainglorious, light and deceiving. And very suspicious, especially of foreigners, whom they despise".

"The more blood they shed, the crueller and more ruthless they become. They're fiery and furious, they quickly grow angry and take a long time to calm down". Undecided

There you go. God knows how Australians come out in the wash.
Report Spam   Logged

MagicM

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 10:16:57 pm »

God knows how Australians come out in the wash.

No sooner had I posed this question than waddya know - I came across another "killer" quote by D.H. Lawrence - this time about the fair land of Oz. Apparently Lawrence, who lived for a time on the New South Wales coast, wrote home to a friend that Australians led "empty lives" which felt "so slipshod, rootless ... it almost makes you sick...What was the good of trying to be an alert, conscious man here? Drift, drift into a sort of obscurity, backwards into a nameless past ... Would the people waken this ancient land or would the land put them to sleep, drift them back into the torpid semi-consciousness of the world of twilight?" No prizes for the answer to that question.

So according to Lawrence, you lot over there are unmelted killers and we down here are semi-conscious zombies.  Cool

Report Spam   Logged

injest
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 10:36:20 pm »

No sooner had I posed this question than waddya know - I came across another "killer" quote by D.H. Lawrence - this time about the fair land of Oz. Apparently Lawrence, who lived for a time on the New South Wales coast, wrote home to a friend that Australians led "empty lives" which felt "so slipshod, rootless ... it almost makes you sick...What was the good of trying to be an alert, conscious man here? Drift, drift into a sort of obscurity, backwards into a nameless past ... Would the people waken this ancient land or would the land put them to sleep, drift them back into the torpid semi-consciousness of the world of twilight?" No prizes for the answer to that question.

So according to Lawrence, you lot over there are unmelted killers and we down here are semi-conscious zombies.  Cool

he was just JEALOUS, that's all!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum