The Retreat
April 19, 2024, 02:05:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Retreat.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Duck Dynasty Controversy

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Duck Dynasty Controversy  (Read 113 times)
injest
Administrator

« on: December 31, 2013, 07:54:46 am »

One thing that seriously makes me laugh is how butt hurt the Progressives are about the A&E reversal...for example, Del made the comment:

That is very disappointing.  The man was offensive, and displayed his ignorance and A&E caves because of money.

I guess those people who believe as he does will catapult the show into even higher ratings now, feeling justified and now having the platform and freedom to spread the word of religious bigotry even further.

but isnt' that EXACTLY what A&E was doing when it kneejerked and dropped him because GLAAD made their little 'threat' to boycott? So when 'because of money' works in their favor, it's all good and a righteous thing...but when the shoe is on the other foot, it's horrible...

hypocritical IMO.

and yes, just like when GLAAD wins, it emboldens the gay establishment to push their agenda further, this setback will allow their opponents to push THEIR agenda forward. Don't pick a fight if you don't want to live with the results.

and here's where it dovetails into the whole concept of masculinity...

typically, when a celebrity gets caught in a unPC moment they get one of two reactions...if they have been 'friendly' to the minority class they have offended before, they can kiss up, do a few meaculpas and its over (think Alec Baldwin) and if they are viewed as 'unfriendly' or from a group percieved as 'unfriendly' then they can kiss up and grovel til the cows come home...they aren't getting any absolution (think Paula Deen)

but think who the audience is for Alec Baldwin and Paula Deen...versus the audience for Duck Dynasty. Which of those three do you think have more devoted fans from the middle American male and the Christian community of males? Duck Dynasty...

and how did Phil Robertson and his family respond? They didn't...they didnt' grovel, they didn't apologize, they stood firm. and their male base stood up for them. These were fans that arent' intimidated. as long as Phil didnt back down, they would stand with him.

and yeah, GLAAD is feeling blowback they never expected...which is why they had to run to the civil rights people to get backup. Which never really took off because, as much as it pains me to say it, calling African Americans 'happy' isn't the worst insult we've ever heard thrown at them...Glaad overplayed their hand, drunk with the success of their campaigns against other celebs and companies that caved without a fight...now a precedent has been set and they'll find more as they go forward
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Milo
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 02:10:41 pm »

Duckgate is just another distraction from the Left designed to make us care about something that is not important. I'm happy that GLAAD failed. Once again, they were trying to tell America what to think, and tell a network what it can and cannot air on TV. Double fail.

I'm happy to see so many people who--many of whom disagree with Phil Robertson on sexual minorities--stand up for free speech and open discourse in this country. When A&E decided to put Duck Dynasty on the air, they wanted something "new" & different. They went and uncovered an under-represented minority in America: poor whites. They decided to make a reality show...you know...a show that shows REALITY. And Phil Robertson's religious beliefs are part of that reality. And I jdon't think A&E "caved" either way. I think the A&E execs knew exactly what they were doing this whole time. I think they played both sides against each other in a purely corporate way that will end up making even bigger stars of the Duck Dynasty cast. (BTW, I was in a convenience store out this way on Tuesday. Among other items, I needed a cigarette lighter. The white lady woring the cash register told me that they kept them behind the counter. She went to the rack, then looked at me with a devilish grin and said, "We have Duck Dynasty lighters." I laughed and said, "Perfect." She came back with, "There's a little bit of redneck in all of us." We were laughing so hard, all I could get out was, "True.")

As for African-Americans, I think we were supposed to be offended by Phil Robertson's story about how the blacks he encountered when he was younger didn't seem to be suffering from oppression. I guess that fell flat for several reasons. 1) He was just as dirt-poor as the blacks he worked with, and blacks from the South are very aware that not all whites were either rich, oppressive, or racist. I have heard stories from my older relatives about such poor whites, and they were just as put-upon as blacks were by the establishment. 2) Robertson didn't say blacks didn't suffer, nor did he deny the injustices of Jim Crow. He merely recalled what he himself observed. There have been countless movies, novels, etc. that show how blacks were able to find happiness in spite of living under Jim Crow. 3) Blacks--with the exception of the professional race pimps (Sharpton, Jackson, et al.)--don't really come into contact with messages from groups like GLAAD. Most of those organizations that contribute to the Liberal dialogue go largely unheard in the black community. Your average black man or woman is not reading Slate, Salon, or HuffPo. Plus, the "racist" angle that GLAAD was trying to play was overshadowed by the "homophobic" angle by a mile. Besides, GLAAD once again made the mistake of thinking that blacks as a group actually care about gays as a group. We don't. Many in the black community would agree with Phil Robertson's interpretation of the Bible because the Black Church is also very fundamentalist. Just like the Prop. 8 "surprise" a few years ago, the Gay Party missed the mark with the black community.
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 09:18:48 pm »

well now they are trying to see if they can 'get' him by claiming he's a child molesting woman hater...trying to get the women mad at him... Roll Eyes

I actually think you're wrong about A&E and their reasons for putting Duck Dynasty on the air. A radio host first came out with this theory and I agree with it. If you look at the other reality shows on A&E like 'Hoarders', they use these shows as amusement...using people with problems as entertainment. So they found these silly ol rednecks and figured they'd put them on display and everyone would laugh at them. That didn't happen. Instead Middle America identified with them...and didn't laugh. So they set out to bring them down to size. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that A&E set up the entire thing but I don't think they counted on Phil and his family standing firm. They expected the standard celebrity reaction of groveling...it didn't happen.

The Leftists in this country are hellbent on destroying the family unit. I don't put anything past them.
Report Spam   Logged
Milo
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 06:09:47 am »

well now they are trying to see if they can 'get' him by claiming he's a child molesting woman hater...trying to get the women mad at him... Roll Eyes

This is becoming a witch hunt. And a pretty flimsy one at that.

I actually think you're wrong about A&E and their reasons for putting Duck Dynasty on the air. A radio host first came out with this theory and I agree with it. If you look at the other reality shows on A&E like 'Hoarders', they use these shows as amusement...using people with problems as entertainment. So they found these silly ol rednecks and figured they'd put them on display and everyone would laugh at them.

That certainly is plausible. I mean the Kardashians are only on TV because people like to laugh at their foolishness.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum