The Retreat
April 19, 2024, 03:14:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Retreat.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The Good Men Project

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Good Men Project  (Read 91 times)
injest
Administrator

« on: January 08, 2014, 06:51:02 am »

while his subject matter might not be of overwhelming interest to you, Milo, I think you would enjoy his post here. The man knows how to deliver a withering beat down with class and there are a lot of links on his page to some very interesting sounding articles I am going to go read..

http://goodmenproject.com/families/i-have-a-dream-that-people-will-view-a-picture-life-this-and-not-think-its-a-big-deal-gmp/

I have a dream that insecure dads will spend less time hating on good dads and more time on getting their own shit together.....

Memo to the small pocket of male haters I have: Why don’t you put big boy shorts on and get in on the revolution of good fathers? It’s not a good look to tear down dads for doing the work your wives wished you were man enough to do on your own. If you don’t believe me, just ask your spouses. They’ll tell you.

But don’t worry. I’ll still be here whenever you’re ready to step your game up and join #TeamGrownAssMan.

Surprisingly (well, not surprisingly to me) in this instance, the majority of racist emails I received came from other black people. Again, here’s a sampling:

- “This would be so much better if those kids were BLACK!”

- “Look at this Uncle Tom. No chance he would be doing this if his kids were black.”

- “I’m sorry, but I can’t support a brotha who didn’t marry a black woman.”

- “Your MOM is black and you dishonored her by marrying outside of your race? You probably can’t handle a strong black woman.”

***DDW steps away from his computer to check his calendar to ensure it’s 2013 and not 1913***
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

injest
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 07:09:44 am »

ugh....reading thru a couple of articles, that site is a little too left wing for me...

here's a bit from another article on the website:

We complain that men are shut down in one breath, and complain they’re too emotional in the next. The truth is, our men are striving for a balance in a world where the rules of masculinity keep changing.

I live in Boulder, Colorado, where a man is as likely to have a yoga mat in the back of his truck as his mountain bike.

really? that's how she thinks to differentiate(sp) between men? they are both 'toys' for men with too little responsibilities and too much time on their hands...I get the whole yoga mat part is to denote the 'new age' guy...but she uses a mountain bike for the 'old school' man? no no no...a mountain bike is as 'new agey' as a yoga mat. If she wanted to/had a dang clue what a 'old school' man would have in his truck, she would have said 'feed sacks' or 'baling twine' or such.

cause men work more than they 'play' and when they 'play', it is not likely to be with a dang bicycle.
Report Spam   Logged
Milo
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 11:34:41 pm »

I

Doyin Richards is yet another black voice that has joined a decades-old chorus. Not only have we been "singing" about black men and fatherhood, but we have been concerned about racism among blacks. I'm not going to try to present a redux of these two cultural problems, but I'll summarize:

1. Racism among blacks towards whites in particular, and other races in general, has been holding us back. Some blacks use it as a cop-out for staying isolated in black-only (or majority black) environments. Other blacks simply don't know how to act around whites due to their racism. Somehow this racism shines through, and the black person ends up reacting to things whites say and do in ways that are problematic.

Richards pretty much said what I think about the interracial couple issue.

II

The Good Men Project has been on my radar for a few years now (h/t Jack Donovan.) GMP is clearly part of the Men's Rights Movement. The problems I have with MRM are similar to some of those I have with the gay orthodoxy. Both are using feminized thinking to solve their problems. For example, both groups rely heavily on victim metality. Both groups try to present themselves as "something for everybody." Both groups use emotional tactics to justify their positions. Then there's that post-modernist moral elitism that confuses criticism with "judgementalism."

Having said that, there are some gems to be found among the rocks at GMP, and in the MRM in general. Doyin Richards is one of them. 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum