The Retreat
March 28, 2024, 04:53:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Retreat.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

In praise of the Anglosphere

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: In praise of the Anglosphere  (Read 109 times)
MagicM

« on: February 26, 2014, 05:45:07 pm »

Daniel Hannan speaking:

"It is natural to become blasé about the familiar, and Anglosphere societies tend to take for granted the rule of law, personal liberty, free contract, regular elections, uncensored newspapers, equality between men and women, jury trials, habeas corpus …

But these things are not the natural condition of mankind. They’re not even Western values, or rather they became Western values only—if we are to be blunt—because of a series of military victories by the English-speaking people. These were precepts overwhelmingly developed in the language in which you and I are now talking.

We delude ourselves if we imagine that every country will automatically get there when it becomes wealthy, educated or developed enough. Compare Australia with its neighbours, Indonesia or Vietnam, for instance.

Australia was settled in incredibly difficult circumstances, as I understand it. The prospects faced by the first British colonists were, from our current perspective, almost unimaginably harsh—the distance, the unfamiliar flora and fauna, and the lack of any resources beyond what the settlers had brought with them. And yet Australia now enjoys on any measure one of the highest standards of living on the planet.

Why did that happen in Australia rather than in any of it neighbouring countries? Well, the really precious resource those early settlers brought with them to Australia was a way of arranging their affairs that elevated the individual above the state and the rule of law above the power of the executive. That’s the magic ingredient that led to modern capitalism and modern freedom.

Once it’s there, people will come from all over the world and benefit from it. It doesn’t matter whether your ancestors are Croatian or Greek or whatever. Everybody does better under that system. The reason a child of Greek parents in Melbourne is better off than a child of Greek parents in Mytilene has nothing to do with race and everything to do with political structures.

The Anglosphere is why Bermuda is not Haiti. It’s why Hong Kong is not China. It’s why Singapore is not Indonesia. The beauty of these values is they are transferable. Every Anglosphere country, including the United Kingdom, has received massive populations from elsewhere—and the extraordinary thing about this is that it applies to all individuals. Your grandparents could have come from the Ukraine or Vietnam, but once you get the hang of living in a society characterised by personal liberty and the rule of law, there is no going back."

http://www.cis.org.au/publications/transcripts/article/5078-conversation-with-daniel-hannan
Report Spam   Logged

“Beauties in vain their pretty eyes may roll; charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.”  Alexander Pope

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

injest
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 09:36:44 pm »

Your grandparents could have come from the Ukraine or Vietnam, but once you get the hang of living in a society characterised by personal liberty and the rule of law, there is no going back."

I beg to differ.

political correctness and liberal guilt threatens to drive us back to the darkness...their 'white guilt' precludes them celebrating their heritage...in fact the exact opposite. Everywhere you look, you see people deriding our histories as 'racist' and 'unjust'...and you'll see good natured people trying to accomodate these malcontents by dismissing their own heritage and instead promoting the histories of civilizations mired in the darkness. We are told continually that our culture is worthless and our own people join in for fear of being bullied by the left.
Report Spam   Logged
MagicM

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 11:23:22 pm »

Your grandparents could have come from the Ukraine or Vietnam, but once you get the hang of living in a society characterised by personal liberty and the rule of law, there is no going back."

I beg to differ.

political correctness and liberal guilt threatens to drive us back to the darkness...their 'white guilt' precludes them celebrating their heritage...in fact the exact opposite. Everywhere you look, you see people deriding our histories as 'racist' and 'unjust'...and you'll see good natured people trying to accomodate these malcontents by dismissing their own heritage and instead promoting the histories of civilizations mired in the darkness. We are told continually that our culture is worthless and our own people join in for fear of being bullied by the left.

Yes - these values are under attack: Here, for example, is what the new internationalists think about patriotism:

A “patriot” is someone who clings to the outmoded principle of loyalty to their own nation; such people are unsophisticated atavisms and represent the tip of the old nationalistic way which has to be destroyed before the transnational system can truly be established. “Jingoistic patriot” is redundant because all patriotism is automatically jingoistic. Referring to someone as a “patriot” is like calling them a “racist”; a “patriot” is, in a sense, a “nationist”, one who discriminates against other nations on behalf of his own just as a racist discriminates against other races on behalf of his own. Such people are evil, and anyone who says he loves his own country must necessarily hate all the others.

http://denbeste.nu/cd_log_entries/2002/08/Transnationalprogressivis.shtml
Report Spam   Logged

“Beauties in vain their pretty eyes may roll; charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.”  Alexander Pope
injest
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 04:37:51 pm »

Yes - these values are under attack: Here, for example, is what the new internationalists think about patriotism:

A “patriot” is someone who clings to the outmoded principle of loyalty to their own nation; such people are unsophisticated atavisms and represent the tip of the old nationalistic way which has to be destroyed before the transnational system can truly be established. “Jingoistic patriot” is redundant because all patriotism is automatically jingoistic. Referring to someone as a “patriot” is like calling them a “racist”; a “patriot” is, in a sense, a “nationist”, one who discriminates against other nations on behalf of his own just as a racist discriminates against other races on behalf of his own. Such people are evil, and anyone who says he loves his own country must necessarily hate all the others.

http://denbeste.nu/cd_log_entries/2002/08/Transnationalprogressivis.shtml

so if I love my cat, I must hate all other cats? If I love my husband, I must hate all other men? if I love Dennis, I hate all other children? If I love mozzerella, I hate cheddar?

I dont' understand why these people see everything in black and white...there are no shades of grey in their worlds.  Absolutely bizarre, but easy to exploit..."all Germans good, all Jews bad. Kill Jews."

plus, it is easier to make your protest posters if you keep it simple.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum