The Retreat
March 28, 2024, 08:45:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Retreat.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

New DirecTV Ad Features a Male Couple

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New DirecTV Ad Features a Male Couple  (Read 638 times)
Milo
Global Moderator

« on: September 08, 2014, 05:28:17 pm »

Chuck (CellarDweller) posted this in Modern Manhood over at BM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uuXI8ODjDw&feature=player_embedded
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

bradINblue

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 08:28:26 pm »

That's nice. Thing is, none of those guys over there like football or traditional male/male competitive sports. As I recall Oilgun and Jeff and most of the women at BM & DCF actually think the sport is a form of homophobia and fans of such sport are meat heads, bullies, morons, etc. Given this, why wouldn't they find this commercial offensive? Instead, shouldn't gays focus on diva worship. strive for a 125 games of bowling, or LGBTEIEIO rodeo instead of that nasty sport of football? What the hell is wrong with DirectTV? Don't they get it?

Brad
Report Spam   Logged

The Maker keeps making but I finally broke through. I love you Steve.
Milo
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 11:05:23 pm »

That's nice. Thing is, none of those guys over there like football or traditional male/male competitive sports. As I recall Oilgun and Jeff and most of the women at BM & DCF actually think the sport is a form of homophobia and fans of such sport are meat heads, bullies, morons, etc. Given this, why wouldn't they find this commercial offensive? Instead, shouldn't gays focus on diva worship. strive for a 125 games of bowling, or LGBTEIEIO rodeo instead of that nasty sport of football? What the hell is wrong with DirectTV? Don't they get it?

Brad

A form of homophobia??? How do they figure that?
Report Spam   Logged
bradINblue

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 12:05:12 am »

A form of homophobia??? How do they figure that?

It was an early topic in masculinity/mutually exclusive threads. There was a vitriolic attack against straight men who enjoyed/participated in sports such as football. Some of us (Terry, myself, AJ, & a few others) let it be known that we played football in school and enjoyed competitive sports and would rather be in the company of like minded men. We were deemed homophobes.
Report Spam   Logged

Milo
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 05:21:31 pm »

It was an early topic in masculinity/mutually exclusive threads. There was a vitriolic attack against straight men who enjoyed/participated in sports such as football. Some of us (Terry, myself, AJ, & a few others) let it be known that we played football in school and enjoyed competitive sports and would rather be in the company of like minded men. We were deemed homophobes.

Oh yes...the "good" old days. I do miss having guys like Terry & AJ around.

Nothing much has changed over the last 3-4 decades. If you do anything that is too manly for their tastes (except in the bedroom, of course) then you must be trying to hide your "true" nature, and that means part of you is still in the closet and therefore internally homophobic. What bullshit.
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 07:25:25 pm »

because if you dare to believe you have a right to your own tastes and preferences then you are rejecting theirs...they can't comprehend that they are not the center of the universe, that you are just off doing your own thing, not thinking about them or their agenda. You HAVE to be consciously denigrating them if you aren't celebrating them.
Report Spam   Logged
bradINblue

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 10:38:37 am »

Don't wanna take away from Direct TV. I appreciate that they recognize the diversity within the 'homosphere'. Just because Steve and I prefer to be here in red neck Eastern Oregon with our straight friends and our straight relatives fixin' to have a LET ER' BUCK! week during the Pendelton Roundup  Grin  doesn't mean were homophobes.  Wink

Report Spam   Logged

bradINblue

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 10:39:21 am »

because if you dare to believe you have a right to your own tastes and preferences then you are rejecting theirs...they can't comprehend that they are not the center of the universe, that you are just off doing your own thing, not thinking about them or their agenda. You HAVE to be consciously denigrating them if you aren't celebrating them.

Yep.
Report Spam   Logged

bradINblue

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 10:40:31 am »

Oh yes...the "good" old days. I do miss having guys like Terry & AJ around.

Nothing much has changed over the last 3-4 decades. If you do anything that is too manly for their tastes (except in the bedroom, of course) then you must be trying to hide your "true" nature, and that means part of you is still in the closet and therefore internally homophobic. What bullshit.

Double Yep.
Report Spam   Logged

injest
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 10:12:41 pm »

triple yep?

Grin Cool
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 10:16:46 pm »

Don't wanna take away from Direct TV. I appreciate that they recognize the diversity within the 'homosphere'. Just because Steve and I prefer to be here in red neck Eastern Oregon with our straight friends and our straight relatives fixin' to have a LET ER' BUCK! week during the Pendelton Roundup  Grin  doesn't mean were homophobes.  Wink

yep  Grin

it's nice that they had just a couple of guys...no different than if they were making any other football commercial, not too pretty, not too anything...just two guys you'd see at the local store ..and although that one chair was kinda frou frou, it was a average house you'd find on any street.

I do appreciate that very much.
Report Spam   Logged
Milo
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 06:17:33 am »

yep  Grin

it's nice that they had just a couple of guys...no different than if they were making any other football commercial, not too pretty, not too anything...just two guys you'd see at the local store ..and although that one chair was kinda frou frou, it was a average house you'd find on any street.

I do appreciate that very much.

I appreciated it too. These are just a couple of guys. No stylish clothes. No hair do's. No jewelry. No gay accent. The commercial's creators did make them look strong, and based on the way the guys could barely fit through the French doors at the end, I'd say that they are pretty big too. And we all know that big and strong are not typically associated with homosexual men.
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 09:31:37 pm »

I appreciated it too. These are just a couple of guys. No stylish clothes. No hair do's. No jewelry. No gay accent. The commercial's creators did make them look strong, and based on the way the guys could barely fit through the French doors at the end, I'd say that they are pretty big too. And we all know that big and strong are not typically associated with homosexual men.

fit but not too fit...they don't look like they spend a lot of time at the gym, they're authenically athletic...the kind of 'fit' you get by being active and DOING things..

in other words: real.
Report Spam   Logged
bradINblue

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 01:45:25 pm »

fit but not too fit...they don't look like they spend a lot of time at the gym, they're authenically athletic...the kind of 'fit' you get by being active and DOING things..

in other words: real.

As we know and have discussed, there are a lot of homo guys that fit the 'real' profile and don't want nothin' to do with the stereotype. They are everywhere--at games, in the grocery store, etc. but they don't stand out and they are respectful of attractive straight men (don't hiss, lear, etc) Problem is, the stereotype and their hangeroners, including lots of the politically correct left can't tolerate them for not wanting to celebrate  Roll Eyes THEM and if you happen to take issue with their behavior, they will slam ya' down by claiming homophobia.

It's good that Direct TV and a few others are starting to include these guys in advertising.

Brad
Report Spam   Logged

Milo
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 03:52:22 pm »

I was popping in on the college games last night, and this ad was in heavy rotation on all 3 major networks.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum