The Retreat
March 29, 2024, 07:19:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Retreat.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Well done America

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Well done America  (Read 265 times)
MagicM

« on: November 05, 2014, 01:52:47 am »

As young Mr Grace would say in "Are you being served?"

YOU'VE ALL DONE VERY WELL!
Report Spam   Logged

“Beauties in vain their pretty eyes may roll; charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.”  Alexander Pope

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

bradINblue

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 10:35:41 am »

Obama's 2 greatest achievements: Loosing the House and the Senate. He will have a legacy after all.

Brad
Report Spam   Logged

The Maker keeps making but I finally broke through. I love you Steve.
injest
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 08:12:41 pm »

now if there was just a way to get rid of Boener and McDonnell...
Report Spam   Logged
Milo
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 07:08:50 am »

After finally working my way onto the radar screen of my County Republican Committee, I got the chance to volunteer at several polling locations on Tuesday. My day went something like this...

I started out at 6:30 am at the municipal building in "Township #1." I set up the table for the day with literature, the most important being the sample ballot showing the Repub. side of the voting board. I also walked about halfway up the hill opposite the front door and parking lot to place a row of candidate signs where people would see them as they drove in and parked. I introduced myself to the Dem. committee member, the constable, the judge, and the poll workers. The constable (a volunteer firefighter) and I hit it off right away, and we spent much of the morning chatting and laughing about anything & everything. About half an hour before the next Repub. committee member came to relieve me, voter was walking from the parking lot towards the door. He looked at me, then he pointed at the Dem. table across from me and said, "Don't you belong over there?" I laughed an replied, "No, I live on this side." He chuckled and went in to vote. Once the door closed behind him, the Dem. committee member asked me, "Was he making assumptions?" I said, "yes." Then he asked, "Aren't you offended?" I answered, "I was prepared for that the minute I signed up for this."

At 11:00 am, I went home to eat something, and David and I went to "Township #2" to vote for ourselves. While I was there I met my local township Repub. committee leader. It turns out that a very prominent Philadelphia conductor grew up out this way, and this woman knew him from childhood. She and I talked about the Philadelphia classical music scene for a while. It turns out that she still makes an annual donation to the Philadelphia Singers in memory of the conductor who died over 20 years ago, in spite of he fact that she rarely goes to any of the concerts.

David drove off to Philly to pick up his new glasses, and I went to my next poll assignment at the local high school, which is located in "Township #3." There I met up with my "boss" for the day. She is a former County Republican Committee chair, and still very much on charge of things. She introduced me to the local township Dem committee chairman and his helpers. Then we settled in at the Repub table. She got a phone call from a Dr. Stokes, who had been working the polling location at "Township #4." Dr. Stokes was calling because he was leaving for a while to eat lunch, and take care of some personal business. So my "boss" sent me over ahead of schedule to relieve him.

When I got to the "Township #4" building (which also houses the public library upstairs) at 1:30 pm, Dr. Stokes had already gone to lunch. There was no table set up outside, but he had left the literature on a bench on the porch of the building. So I grabbed a stack of sample ballots and started handing them out as voters came in. I struck up a conversation with the lady who was there for the Dems. She asked me what I knew about the pipeline project that was slated to come through town. We chatted about it for quite some time, and others who came to vote joined the conversation at various points. At one point, the Dem lady went to her car and got out color maps of the pipeline route through our town.

At around 3:00 pm, a solid, barrel-chested man in his late 40s wearing slacks, a blazer, a button-down collar shirt and no tie started walking up the handicapped ramp towards us. He looked at me and in a large, gregarious voice said, "Milo!! You're here!!!" I replied, "Dr. Stokes...right?" and offered my hand, which he shook once before pulling me into a bro-hug. Now, my "boss" had told me that I would get to meet the mayor of Riegelsville, but she never actually said that Dr. Stokes IS the mayor. The Dr. went on to ask me if I had eaten, or if I needed anything to drink. I declined, and we got to work handing out sample ballots. He was full of questions, and very open when talking about himself and his life. He showed me cellphone video of dolphins swimming alongside his fishing boat this summer. We swapped dirty jokes for bit. He shared the back-stories of several of local citizens who came to vote that afternoon. It turns out that his ancestors came to America from Germany in the 1720s, and founded the town of Wrightstown, PA which is about 45 minutes south of where we are now. He's a great guy, and I look forward to getting involved in future projects with him.

At 7:00 pm, David and I met at the Tavern in town for dinner. We shared our day's adventures as we always do, watched the election returns on the gigantic TV, and headed home at about 9:30.

It was a GREAT day. I can hardly wait for 2016!!
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 07:23:34 am »

wow!

after reading all that, I feel a little inadequate!

this was MY day Tues....got up, made breakfast, went to work.

Worked all day then Don and I went to vote, there wasn't a line so we went on through..took about five minutes maybe and were home by 6..made dinner, cleaned up the kitchen, did some laundry while gloating over election results (GO Louie!!!) then went to bed.

and I too am SOOOOOO looking forward to 2016!!
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 07:25:30 am »

oh and VERY happy that Abortion Barbie didn't win the governor's race!

bye bye Wendy...maybe you should try some other state.

another race I am happy about is Sandra Fluke losing HER bid in California! I mean, really...if a slutpuppy can't win in California, you know they are unpopular!
Report Spam   Logged
bradINblue

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 07:09:46 pm »

I did the monthly shopping which is an all day event because everything is so far away--Costco, WinCo & Fred Meyer (Kroger).  Threw some thick Ribeye's on the barbie, drank red wine and tuned in to the results. The polls were tightening over the past few days and I was a bit worried. Here on the west coast things were pretty much in the bag by ten.  At the end of the day, the polls didn't mean shit and I'm done paying attention to them. Washington state has vote by mail. We sent ours in a couple weeks ago. Not a lot on the state level. A couple of local initiatives. Oregon had a lot going on and most of the results were expected. Anyone or anything in any shade of blue won the day. Even the scandal ridden, weasely, crooked governor got reelected. The good conservative people in the east part of the state (my roots) just don't have a voice.

Milo, I was exhausted after reading about your day. Jess, what exactly is workWink  It's been fun watching those idiots at MSNBC. Someone needs to explain what happened to that nasty elitist Rachel Madcow.....

Report Spam   Logged

The Maker keeps making but I finally broke through. I love you Steve.
MagicM

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 03:46:15 am »

Threw some thick Ribeye's on the barbie, drank red wine and tuned in to the results.

Good to see that life continues on at a stately pace at the St Helens Hilton. Cool
Report Spam   Logged

“Beauties in vain their pretty eyes may roll; charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.”  Alexander Pope

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum