The Retreat
March 29, 2024, 03:53:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Retreat.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Capturing Love on a Montana Ranch

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Capturing Love on a Montana Ranch  (Read 160 times)
Milo
Global Moderator

« on: March 13, 2015, 03:26:00 pm »

Capturing Love on a Montana Ranch
By James McDonald
March 10 2015 11:59 AM EDT

Marriage equality is sweeping across the nation, and one of the most touching effects is that attention is being drawn to same-sex love in many different places people might not expect. It's not just big cities and metropolitan areas or guys in bowties. From the prim-and-proper, to bearded hipsters, tattooed bikers, and military types, images pop up daily to remind us how beautiful love is in all its diversity.

For Brandon and Benjamin, having photographer Brian Powers shoot them on a ranch outside Missoula, Montana, was about capturing their relationship in its most natural environment. Brandon grew up around the ranch and, as a couple, they’re united by their love of the open-air Montana lifestyle.

The two met a little over a year ago, and now live together in Washington State, but they go back to visit Brandon’s family in Montana as often as they can. Despite the region’s general conservatism — Brandon says his father is “somewhat of a self-proclaimed redneck” — they’ve experienced incredible support.

“[My dad] was the person I was most nervous to tell [that I was gay], but [he] wound up being the easiest,” Brandon says. “His response was, ‘I don’t give a shit. You’re the same person. Just try and find someone who likes to hunt.’ And Ben loves to hunt, so no problems there.”

SLIDESHOW | MONTANA MEN IN LOVE: http://www.out.com/art-books/2015/3/10/montana-men-love

Brandon says that these photos were originally intended for purely personal use, but he's happy to share them with a wider audience. “Ben is in the Navy, and he will be gone for months on end, so they’re a nice thing to have during those times.” But he's also been overwhelmingly pleased by people’s reaction to them.

“Often, when you see two men together the stereotype is very different from a Montana ranch, and much different from how we live and how we feel, which I think is one reason we’ve had a lot of support and positive feedback off of this set of photos. It wasn’t about us being a same-sex couple, it was about being recognized as two people who care about each other… and who had a very talented photographer to capture that.”

http://www.out.com/love/2015/3/10/brandon-ben
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

bradINblue

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 03:48:52 pm »

Great find Milo--my first thought was of Dennis and Jeff  Wink

I made the mistake of reading FB comments however. Should have known what I was in for since it was OUT Magazine. The loathing, urban PC fags make me nauseated.
Report Spam   Logged

The Maker keeps making but I finally broke through. I love you Steve.
Milo
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 04:06:45 pm »

I made the mistake of reading FB comments however. Should have known what I was in for since it was OUT Magazine. The loathing, urban PC fags make me nauseated.

I posted from work, so I didn't read the comments. I'll check them out when I get home.
Report Spam   Logged
bradINblue

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 05:18:09 pm »

I posted from work, so I didn't read the comments. I'll check them out when I get home.

It took four posts before accusations these two young men weren't really like they were portrayed (rural, country-loving, NORMAL men). Nastiness from some of the inner city, stereotypical queens who think all gays should act and live like them.  The comments aren't worth reading Milo.
Report Spam   Logged

Milo
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 06:33:05 pm »

It took four posts before accusations these two young men weren't really like they were portrayed (rural, country-loving, NORMAL men). Nastiness from some of the inner city, stereotypical queens who think all gays should act and live like them.  The comments aren't worth reading Milo.

Its a damn shame.

I stumbled over a review of the HBO show Looking written by a gay man. He felt that the show is boring, discusses topics that the gay community "dealt" with years ago and don't need any more analysis, and that the show heteronormalizes gay men to the point where you only know they're gay if there's a love scene. He just couldn't seem to understand why anyone would want to watch something so uninteresting.

You can't do anything with people like that. Their heads are too far up their asses.
Report Spam   Logged
Arcadianmemories
Honorary Vice President
cat lover

salvation thru star trek

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 04:27:05 pm »

sadly, some of the people who shout "diversity" the loudest, are stridently intolerant when they meet someone or something that doesn't fit into their PC narrative. On the other hand, I have found that some of the most tolerant and inclusive people live in rural areas, attend church regularly, and most definitely didn't vote for Obama.   
Report Spam   Logged
MagicM

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 10:46:53 pm »

The "sweet life" realised.

Funnily I've just finished reading a crime novel by James Lee Burke titled Light of the World set on a ranch near Missoula Montana. Wonderful descriptions of the local environment.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 10:52:11 pm by MagicM » Report Spam   Logged

“Beauties in vain their pretty eyes may roll; charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.”  Alexander Pope
Milo
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 06:34:04 pm »

sadly, some of the people who shout "diversity" the loudest, are stridently intolerant when they meet someone or something that doesn't fit into their PC narrative.

We have a new religion. Its practitioners are known as "Progressives."

Report Spam   Logged
Milo
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 06:36:36 pm »

The "sweet life" realised.

Absolutely. I wonder if either of these guys ever saw Brokeback Mountain? I'm guessing they would have been teenagers when the movie was released.
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 07:44:43 pm »

Its a damn shame.

I stumbled over a review of the HBO show Looking written by a gay man. He felt that the show is boring, discusses topics that the gay community "dealt" with years ago and don't need any more analysis, and that the show heteronormalizes gay men to the point where you only know they're gay if there's a love scene. He just couldn't seem to understand why anyone would want to watch something so uninteresting.

You can't do anything with people like that. Their heads are too far up their asses.

I was reading the Queen of All Grammar, Crayons, talking about "the Walking Dead" and she made the comment that a certain character was 'boring'...unless they make his character gay, THEN she'll be interested. How exactly that would make a 'boring' character interesting I am not sure...unless she is willing to admit she is just being incredibly condescending and patronizing. Crayons: "Oh look the gay is doing something! Doesn't matter what, I am just delighted to see the gay can DO stuff! watch! he OPENED a DOOR!! OOOOOOO!! what ACTING!"   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 07:48:21 pm »

well they both do have that Carhartt jacket.. Cheesy

we were driving by a work site the other day and there were about ten men out working and they ALL had on Carhartt jackets...and every one of them was slightly different, banded waist vs loose, collars, cuffs, etc.. I teased Don about it. Asked him what they'd do if another guy showed up in the EXACT same jacket? would one have to go home and change?
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 07:52:49 pm »

sadly, some of the people who shout "diversity" the loudest, are stridently intolerant when they meet someone or something that doesn't fit into their PC narrative. On the other hand, I have found that some of the most tolerant and inclusive people live in rural areas, attend church regularly, and most definitely didn't vote for Obama.   

yeah, if we don't like something, we just let it alone or ignore it...if someone wants to do something or have something we don't like and we don't have to see or support it, we don't care...go on and do what you want to.

if they don't like something, they insist no one can have it.

if we don't like Church's Chicken for whatever reason, we just don't go...THEY can go if they want to..

if THEY don't like Church's Chicken then by God NO ONE should be able to eat it and they have to run it out of town.

the hypocrisy is staggering
Report Spam   Logged
bradINblue

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 11:20:45 pm »

if THEY don't like Church's Chicken then by God NO ONE should be able to eat it and they have to run it out of town.

the hypocrisy is staggering

Yep, I always think of Walmart (and stretching spandex  Grin ). They can't stand Walmart yet it checks all the boxes of what THEY claim to stand for. Walmart hires disabled. A family of five can afford school clothes at Walmart. Walmart has flexible hours. Walmart prescriptions and glasses are much less. Talk about staggering hypocrisy.
Report Spam   Logged

injest
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 07:46:33 am »

Yep, I always think of Walmart (and stretching spandex  Grin ). They can't stand Walmart yet it checks all the boxes of what THEY claim to stand for. Walmart hires disabled. A family of five can afford school clothes at Walmart. Walmart has flexible hours. Walmart prescriptions and glasses are much less. Talk about staggering hypocrisy.

I guess they think we all believe they are in there taking pictures of OTHER Walmart patrons as a social service, not buying stuff themselves..
Report Spam   Logged
Arcadianmemories
Honorary Vice President
cat lover

salvation thru star trek

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 11:24:50 am »

We have a new religion. Its practitioners are known as "Progressives."

I think of them as Fascists.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: