The Retreat
April 18, 2024, 03:36:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Retreat.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Trigger warning?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trigger warning?  (Read 113 times)
MagicM

« on: May 31, 2015, 09:31:26 pm »

I just posted the following at DC and Bettermost as I was curious about the response.

Question: Given the emotional upheaval many experienced on viewing/reading BBM, should this film/story have come with a trigger warning?

Now normally I would vehemently oppose the idea of trigger warnings as the role of art is often to disturb as a well as enlighten. But the emotional upheaval mentioned was widespread and acute. I was amazed at how much and how deeply I was affected by this story. I eventually got over it but how many could have been tipped into long-term  depression/anxiety. So if ever there might be an exception in my mind this could be it.

Thoughts?
Report Spam   Logged

“Beauties in vain their pretty eyes may roll; charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.”  Alexander Pope

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

injest
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 07:26:19 am »

I just posted the following at DC and Bettermost as I was curious about the response.

Question: Given the emotional upheaval many experienced on viewing/reading BBM, should this film/story have come with a trigger warning?

Now normally I would vehemently oppose the idea of trigger warnings as the role of art is often to disturb as a well as enlighten. But the emotional upheaval mentioned was widespread and acute. I was amazed at how much and how deeply I was affected by this story. I eventually got over it but how many could have been tipped into long-term  depression/anxiety. So if ever there might be an exception in my mind this could be it.

Thoughts?

no I don't think there should be trigger warnings on anything. One, people are too diverse and you could never guess what will set someone off. Two, that would mean we would have to have some kind of review board to 'screen' everything we see or hear for content.

We need to start treating people like they are adult rational beings...and not snowflakes. A person has a responsibility to control himself. If a person has some problem that is going to cause him to freak out if he sees or hears it and is rational enough to be able to abide by a trigger warning, then he is rational enough to review the movie and see if it seems like something that will cause him to flip out and avoid it on his own.

Brokeback Mountain's affect on people was unexpected and hit a nerve in a lot of people that no one could have predicted. What sets it apart from other films? Love lost? been done...gay love lost? been done...there is something intangible about the film that no review board would have ever guessed at and I think a lot of people still discount today. I would guess that many film experts would dismiss this 'affect' out of hand. Garry said that it was a message from the One..the hand of the One speaking to those that could hear, something spiritual. You can't anticipate that.

Report Spam   Logged
MagicM

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 08:28:31 pm »

..there is something intangible about the film that no review board would have ever guessed at and I think a lot of people still discount today. I would guess that many film experts would dismiss this 'affect' out of hand. Garry said that it was a message from the One..the hand of the One speaking to those that could hear, something spiritual. You can't anticipate that.

Indeed there was something spiritual - you are right and very perceptive about that Jess. Amazing that something like that happens in our Godless age.

I shouldn't complain about the effect it had on me and the upset that entailed - in my experience such spiritual impacts in this life are often ones you would rather do without as they take you right out of your comfort zone. But in this realm you have about as much chance of avoiding it as a gnat under an elephant's foot.

Report Spam   Logged

“Beauties in vain their pretty eyes may roll; charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.”  Alexander Pope
injest
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 08:36:42 pm »

Indeed there was something spiritual - you are right and very perceptive about that Jess. Amazing that something like that happens in our Godless age.

I shouldn't complain about the effect it had on me and the upset that entailed - in my experience such spiritual impacts in this life are often ones you would rather do without as they take you right out of your comfort zone. But in this realm you have about as much chance of avoiding it as a gnat under an elephant's foot.

you should have talked to Garry...he had it down I think..of course I don't remember it word for word but he said that The Great Spirit spoke through that film to the people that were able to hear it. And people had a choice how they used that message. Some used it to grow and let loose of things that hurt them or held them back from their dreams and others heard the message and ran from it. Buried themselves in the 'meetings' and 'get togethers' and feeding one another's excuses and avoidances.

like all gifts from the One, it had a good side and a bad side, and which side we got from it is really up to us and how we processed it. In the end, it's what we brought to the film and what we were willing to change that determined our reactions.

and I do think it is those that let go of the obsession, and moved on to just seeing it as a good movie that are the healthiest ones. Miracles are fleeting things, trying to hold onto it will only burn you.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 08:42:46 pm by injest » Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 08:39:13 pm »

you should have talked to Garry...he had it down I think..of course I don't remember it word for word but he said that The Great Spirit spoke through that film to the people that were able to hear it. And people had a choice how they used that message. Some used it to grow and let loose of things that hurt them or held them back from their dreams and others heard the message and ran from it. Buried themselves in the 'meetings' and 'get togethers' and feeding one another's excuses and avoidances.

like all gifts from the One, it had a good side and a bad side, and which side we got from it is really up to us and how we processed it. In the end, it's what we brought to the film and what we were willing to change that determined our reactions.

and I do think it is those that let go of the obsession, and moved on to just seeing it as a good movie. Miracles are fleeting things, trying to hold onto it will only burn you.

this makes me cry...I miss Garry in a way I can't explain. So many people dismissed him as a crackpot or some old guy that didn't type good and wasn't educated at Hahvahd..but he was so wise.

I miss reading his messages, even when he was just rattling on about minicars...there were diamonds in the rocks, you just had to watch for them.

Report Spam   Logged
MagicM

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 08:54:34 pm »

like all gifts from the One, it had a good side and a bad side, and which side we got from it is really up to us and how we processed it. In the end, it's what we brought to the film and what we were willing to change that determined our

Wise words. I always thought that BBM contained the forces of both eros and thanatos - the life and the death force with humanity. I think the viewer's reaction to Ennis is key - whether you saw him as a doomed figure forever in mourning or a man who learned about himself the hard way and was transformed by his experience.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 09:27:16 pm by MagicM » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum