The Retreat
March 28, 2024, 07:22:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Retreat.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

New research on sexuality

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New research on sexuality  (Read 229 times)
MagicM

« on: October 08, 2015, 05:15:01 pm »

Of interest?

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/scientists-uncover-way-to-identify-sexuality-from-dna-believe-environmental-factors-play-part/story-fn5fsgyc-1227562867815
Report Spam   Logged

“Beauties in vain their pretty eyes may roll; charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.”  Alexander Pope

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

injest
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 07:42:33 pm »

I think they are opening a can of worms...trying to decide what causes homosexuality. I mean, what's the end goal? the purpose of knowing which genes makes a person who they are? what do they think people will do with it? 'Cure' it? predict so the parents can choose to abort or not?

some things just don't need to be known...IMO..
Report Spam   Logged
bradINblue

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 07:43:15 pm »

I read the article and understand why scientists and certain politico seek physiological proof. Regarding male sexuality, there will never be an answer. I know/knew way too many men that identify as hetro, most married, that enjoy sex with other like guys. Most of these guys grow out of it and move on to wives and families an never touch another guy. Some continue to seek male sex. Not a one would ever admit to being homosexual even polled in anonymity. There is obviously a physiological component to human sexuality and I don't buy a person can be groomed or become homosexual based on training/environment (Being gay is another story). Regarding either sex, I don't believe there is a gene or measurable marker that identifies a person one way or the other.
Report Spam   Logged

The Maker keeps making but I finally broke through. I love you Steve.
injest
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 07:46:15 pm »

I read the article and understand why scientists and certain politico seek physiological proof. Regarding male sexuality, there will never be an answer. I know/knew way too many men that identify as hetro, most married, that enjoy sex with other like guys. Most of these guys grow out of it and move on to wives and families an never touch another guy. Some continue to seek male sex. Not a one would ever admit to being homosexual even polled in anonymity. There is obviously a physiological component to human sexuality and I don't buy a person can be groomed or become homosexual based on training/environment (Being gay is another story). Regarding either sex, I don't believe there is a gene or measurable marker that identifies a person one way or the other.

isn't all this labeling and such a modern construct anyway? I mean, men are men...they like sex..they've always had sex with anyone available throughout history. It's only the modern people that insist on categorizing everything and everyone.

Report Spam   Logged
bradINblue

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 07:53:42 pm »

isn't all this labeling and such a modern construct anyway? I mean, men are men...they like sex..they've always had sex with anyone available throughout history. It's only the modern people that insist on categorizing everything and everyone.

Precisely.
Report Spam   Logged

The Maker keeps making but I finally broke through. I love you Steve.
injest
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 08:02:54 pm »

I think we just have gotten to the point where we give way too much attention to sex. I mean, there is more to life than sex.

People in the past enjoyed sex (we're all here after all) but they did other things too. Seems today, it's less about who you are, what you can give but instead about what you do in bed.
Report Spam   Logged
Milo
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 09:45:32 am »

- This study is way too small to be conclusive, as was noted in the article.

- "Environmental influences" is awfully vague. Is Ngun talking about chemicals that a baby is exposed to in utero? Or is he talking about exposure to something after birth?

- It is the job of science to attempt to explain everything, so naturally they are trying to figure out sexual orientation. As Jess points out, some people might seek to find ways to "cure" homosexuality. Others might choose to abort fetuses that show the kinds of markers Ngun talks about. Still others will try to use these kinds of findings to justify a "gay ethnicity," and thereby further the cause of activism.

- I agree with Brad that there is a huge psychological component to sexual orientation...whichever way it goes. So to say that one's physiology determines one's sexual orientation is short sighted. What I think is more likely is that one's physiology makes it possible to have one sexual orientation or another.

- The way most people think of sexual orientation as a matter of identity is most definitely a social construct. Part of it arises out of the human habit of categorizing everything. Part of it is political. Part of it is social. If we look at the men that Brad describes who live straight lifestyles, love and marry women, make babies, and sometimes have sex with other men, I would classify them as heteroromantic bisexuals. But at the end of the day, these men are doing what they want to do without any concern for categories or identities. In other words, (as I have said many times) sex is something they do, not something they are.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum