The Retreat
March 28, 2024, 06:44:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Retreat.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

"Safe spaces" for fat, gay men

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Safe spaces" for fat, gay men  (Read 217 times)
Milo
Global Moderator

« on: January 16, 2016, 08:13:51 pm »

UPDATED: UCSB to host discussion on 'safe spaces' for 'fat, gay men'

UPDATE: This article has been updated to include comment from UCSB confirming that student fees will be used to pay for the event.

The University of California, Santa Barbara will host a book discussion next week to discuss "the anti-fat stigma that persists in American culture," specifically for "fat, gay men."

"To be fat in a thin-obsessed gay culture can be difficult."    Tweet This

The event, a discussion of the book "Fat, Gay Men: Mirth, Girth, and the Politics of Stigma" with author Dr. Jason Whitesel of Pace University, is being hosted by the UCSB Resource Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity. According to the event page on Facebook, 34 of the 199 students invited have indicated that they will attend.

"To be fat in a thin-obsessed gay culture can be difficult," the Resource Center's description of the event begins. "Despite affectionate in-group monikers for big gay men—chubs, bears, cubs—the anti-fat stigma that persists in American culture at large still haunts these individuals who often exist at the margins of gay communities."

To help students learn more about the issue, Whitesel "delves into the world of Girth & Mirth, a nationally known social club dedicated to big gay men," which the description later states "has long been a refuge and ‘safe space’ for such men."

Although not a member of the group himself, Whitesel is "a partial insider as a gay man," and "offers an insider’s critique of the gay movement, questioning whether the social consequences of the failure to be height-weight proportionate should be so extreme in the gay community."

Carlos Flores, a student at UCSB, told Campus Reform that he found out about the event through a monthly email newsletter sent out by the Resource Center, and decided to call attention to it with a Facebook post captioned, "Another day, another degenerate email from the UCSB LGBT Center."

Flores said he doesn't mind the fact of the event being held, per se, but does object to the idea that his money might be used to fund it.

"As I understand it, they're using taxpayer money and my tuition dollars to talk about how to sodomize overweight men, which doesn't seem like the best use of that money," he told Campus Reform. "I don't think the university should be using my funds to hold a morally questionable event—they're free to do it, but I'd rather they spent someone else's money."

Campus Reform contacted the Resource Center to inquire into the source of funding for the event, and eventually received a response from Dean of Students Kim Equinoa, who asserted that funding for the event "comes from student lock-in fees that are voted on/reaffirmed by the student body every four years."

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=7154
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

bradINblue

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 11:47:18 am »

LGBTEIEIOF
Report Spam   Logged

The Maker keeps making but I finally broke through. I love you Steve.
Milo
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 03:12:20 pm »

LGBTEIEIOF

Yep. It would appear that fat is a new "identity."
Report Spam   Logged
Arcadianmemories
Honorary Vice President
cat lover

salvation thru star trek

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 10:46:36 am »

ha, rolling on the floor laughing!

the safe place, as you get older and put on the pounds is ---- jogging trails, gyms, and juice bars.

Report Spam   Logged
Milo
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 01:22:26 pm »

ha, rolling on the floor laughing!

the safe place, as you get older and put on the pounds is ---- jogging trails, gyms, and juice bars.

I was at the YMCA dealing with my "safe place" this afternoon.
Report Spam   Logged
Arcadianmemories
Honorary Vice President
cat lover

salvation thru star trek

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 09:46:34 am »

I was at the YMCA dealing with my "safe place" this afternoon.
ha! after I went over 50 (about the time I started posting on that old Bettermost site), the weight problems began. now I am close to 60 and its a daily struggle with weight, and creaky joints. I have had to admit that I will never be as thin as I was before I was 50, but I can keep myself from being one of those poor victims featured on "My 600 Pound Life" on The Learning Channel. so, I go to a gym, I walk, I avoid added sugar, and restrict portions. oh, how I miss Chinese buffet!

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/my-600-lb-life/

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum