The Retreat
April 19, 2024, 03:56:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Retreat.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

More brain food from Brendan

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: More brain food from Brendan  (Read 93 times)
MagicM

« on: December 10, 2015, 04:30:50 pm »

Brendan O'Neill writes in Spiked!

"Politics is no longer the sphere in which interests are expressed and convictions crash, but rather has become an arena for the pitting of personalised identities against one another: a new caste system, in effect. The individual with conviction has given way to the insecure possessor of an identity, whose primary concern is with the protection of his or her identity from ridicule or assault. ...

"It is argued by identitarians that the psychic needs of the individual who self-identifies as ‘they’ overrides the habits of the public or the universalism of spoken discourse. At Scripps College, a women’s university in Southern California, students are now given 10 pronoun options to choose from. They can be he, she, e, per, zi, ze, they, hu, hum or hus. Here we have the construction of an entire new way of speaking, an alien, bizarre, elitist way of speaking, to satisfy the self-identity of small groups. Today, saying ‘I identify as’ doesn’t only mean you can change sex on your passport or masquerade as black when you’re white – it has also led to the reorganisation of university life and the emergence of new words, new grammar. The objective must bow to the subjective. Everything must be bent to the whims of the person who has said: ‘I identify as…’

"In truth, the rise of self-identity, the replacement of ‘I am’ with ‘I identify as’, speaks to the hollowing out of the sphere and the ideas through which people once developed living, breathing identities, a real sense of themselves that was tangible, deep, convincing. It’s not that identitarians are foisting identity politics on us. It’s that Western societies, which have fallen into serious moral and existential disarray, have become increasingly incapable of providing people with a strong sense of identity, or of maintaining the mechanisms through which people once gained and built identities, and this has nurtured new hunts for meaning, for a sense of self, for some kind of personality at a time when the human personality is weak."

http://www.spiked-online.com/spiked-review/article/the-crisis-of-character#.Vmn7o_l96M8

My thoughts? All this is an extension of the post modern trend in which boundaries in all areas of life become blurred and people independently invent and re-invent themselves and the constructs of their lives instead of accepting something pre-packaged by society. This started out as an interesting and even liberating trend but has now IMO gotten totally out of control. Human beings always seem to go overboard!!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 04:45:40 pm by MagicM » Report Spam   Logged

“Beauties in vain their pretty eyes may roll; charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.”  Alexander Pope

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum