The Retreat
April 19, 2024, 05:55:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Retreat.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

How Trump is viewed by the center right in Oz

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: How Trump is viewed by the center right in Oz  (Read 742 times)
MagicM

« on: January 29, 2016, 04:50:32 pm »

Read the comments section:

http://catallaxyfiles.com/2016/01/29/if-trump-is-the-answer-what-is-the-question/#comments

Sample comments:

Trump is the man who can move the goalposts the most, in the shortest time. He is the sledgehammer they need to clear the years and years worth of poorly handled immigration, bad trade deals, taxes and red tape. Who cares that he’s not ideologically pure as the wind driven snow. As long as he stays away from the load bearing walls of the republic, he can just have at it.

Trump is serving a useful purpose – he is showing the way for other Republicans to grow some backbone and not be cowed by the cultural marxists. He is showing that his approach resonates with Americans (as it would in Australia and the UK, I suspect). The problem with Trump as President is his lack of commitment to free trade, private property, small Government and scrupulous institutions. So I hope that a Republican emerges who has the anti-PC approach of Trump with the political and economic instincts of Cruz wrapped up in a package that looks and behaves like Rubio.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 05:06:27 pm by MagicM » Report Spam   Logged

“Beauties in vain their pretty eyes may roll; charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.”  Alexander Pope

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

injest
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 10:58:24 pm »

oh too much meat for this late...I'll revisit this tomorrow, Jo...but speaking to that last guy: Good luck, the last time I checked, perfection isn't a reality.
Report Spam   Logged
Milo
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 08:52:49 am »

"...the anti-PC approach of Trump with the political and economic instincts of Cruz wrapped up in a package that looks and behaves like Rubio."

Yes!! That would be nice. But as Jess points out, perfection isn't reality.

Actually, I just started reading through the platforms of the candidates. As much as I like Donald, Rubio, and Carson, I'll end up casting my vote based on policies, not personality.

Have a ton of reading to do.
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 10:27:24 am »

"...the anti-PC approach of Trump with the political and economic instincts of Cruz wrapped up in a package that looks and behaves like Rubio."

Yes!! That would be nice. But as Jess points out, perfection isn't reality.

Actually, I just started reading through the platforms of the candidates. As much as I like Donald, Rubio, and Carson, I'll end up casting my vote based on policies, not personality.

Have a ton of reading to do.

please consider looking at past performance and past activity too.

Love Carson...not sure he's ready for the Presidency (but I would HAPPILY vote for him if he were the nominee) but whoever does win would be a blind FOOL not to include him in their administration..the man has so much to offer and is wanting to give.
Report Spam   Logged
Milo
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 03:47:06 pm »

please consider looking at past performance and past activity too.

Speaking of the past...

In 1992, David and I were working at a pharmaceutical advertising agency. Our clientele was exclusively companies like Johnson & Johnson, Merck, Pfizer, SmithKline, etc. There were 48 employees at this agency when Clinton took office. Then Hillary started her back-room plotting to create "Universal Healthcare." The effect across the biotech sector of the markets was negative to say the least. As their stocks slipped in value due to the uncertainty Hillary created in the market, all the pharmaceutical companies started to cut back spending. And since marketing and advertising are considered expenses at most corporations, our client companies started give less new work, and scale back or cancel projects on the drawing board as well some that were already under way. the agency in turn was forced to lay off about 25 employees including David.

I might have told that story at least once when she was running against Obama in 2008. As far as I'm concerned, that woman should never hold public office again. Not even Dog Catcher. 

ETA: The latest edition of The Daily Sheet at DCF leads off with an article about which gay elected officials around he country are endorsing Hillary. Nothing about which gays of any sort are endorsing Bernie. Their bias is so blatant!!

Love Carson...not sure he's ready for the Presidency (but I would HAPPILY vote for him if he were the nominee) but whoever does win would be a blind FOOL not to include him in their administration..the man has so much to offer and is wanting to give.

I tend to agree. As good as he looks on paper, and sounds in public, he has ZERO governing experience. Having said that, appointing a top-notch cabinet can make up for plenty.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 03:58:42 pm by Milo » Report Spam   Logged
MagicM

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 05:19:33 pm »

Looks like the NY Times agrees with me that Kasich is the best choice. That's probably the kiss of death for any wavering conservatives - which is a shame. I think the guy's a safe pair of hands - but how much of a RINO is he?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/01/30/new-york-times-endorses-kasich-trump-cruz-equally-objectionable/
Report Spam   Logged

“Beauties in vain their pretty eyes may roll; charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.”  Alexander Pope
injest
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 03:05:00 pm »

Looks like the NY Times agrees with me that Kasich is the best choice. That's probably the kiss of death for any wavering conservatives - which is a shame. I think the guy's a safe pair of hands - but how much of a RINO is he?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/01/30/new-york-times-endorses-kasich-trump-cruz-equally-objectionable/

the fact that the NYT endorses him should tell you all you need to know about how much of a RINO he is....they DO see him as a 'safe' pair of hands...as in 'dont' upset the apple cart', 'business as usual until the public relaxes a bit so we can go back to stealing the country'

Progressives are patient and plan long term...a Kasich presidency would slow them but not stop them or reverse any of their gains.
Report Spam   Logged
MagicM

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 03:12:01 pm »

the fact that the NYT endorses him should tell you all you need to know about how much of a RINO he is....they DO see him as a 'safe' pair of hands...as in 'dont' upset the apple cart', 'business as usual until the public relaxes a bit so we can go back to stealing the country'

Progressives are patient and plan long term...a Kasich presidency would slow them but not stop them or reverse any of their gains.

I suppose it depends on what one means by a "safe pair of hands". For me it means the President is an experienced hand with a steady temperament and good judgement. Someone who inspires trust. Someone who recognises that the US has a stabilising role on the world stage.

At the moment it seems Americans are in the mood for a bomb thrower. I can understand that sentiment after the years of Obama blahness - but does the pendulum have to swing in the totally opposite direction?

PS

I would add someone who is tough on border controls, fiscal consolidation and national security.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 03:23:50 pm by MagicM » Report Spam   Logged

injest
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 06:35:57 pm »

I suppose it depends on what one means by a "safe pair of hands". For me it means the President is an experienced hand with a steady temperament and good judgement. Someone who inspires trust. Someone who recognises that the US has a stabilising role on the world stage.

At the moment it seems Americans are in the mood for a bomb thrower. I can understand that sentiment after the years of Obama blahness - but does the pendulum have to swing in the totally opposite direction?

PS

I would add someone who is tough on border controls, fiscal consolidation and national security.

OBAMA BLAHNESS!?!?!

you are kidding, right? he has destabilized our economy, our culture, the US standing in the world, insulted and alienated our allies, aided and encouraged our enemies, destroyed our health care system, declared Congress void and useless, rules by fiat, agitates for a race war, driven us so far into debt he's almost collapsed the dollar, armed Mexican drug lords, recruited people to send thousands of unaccompanied minors into the country to overrun our welfare and school systems, oversaw the reintroduction of diseases we had wiped out, sold guns to Al Queada, created ISIS...you call that blahness?
Report Spam   Logged
MagicM

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 03:18:34 am »

OBAMA BLAHNESS!?!?!

you are kidding, right? he has destabilized our economy, our culture, the US standing in the world, insulted and alienated our allies, aided and encouraged our enemies, destroyed our health care system, declared Congress void and useless, rules by fiat, agitates for a race war, driven us so far into debt he's almost collapsed the dollar, armed Mexican drug lords, recruited people to send thousands of unaccompanied minors into the country to overrun our welfare and school systems, oversaw the reintroduction of diseases we had wiped out, sold guns to Al Queada, created ISIS... you call that blahness?

Well yes Jess (I invented the term to encompass all those atrocities!) Obviously I bombed out as a word inventor.

PS

Nice to see the Jess of old still has fire in the belly.
Report Spam   Logged

Milo
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 02:14:19 pm »

Yes, it is!!

And you're right. Americans are looking for bomb-throwers right now in both parties. This is one reason why Bernie is getting so much traction on the Democrat side. The whole country is sick of business as usual, and people are looking for radical change...they're just looking in opposite directions.
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 08:42:52 pm »

Yes, it is!!

And you're right. Americans are looking for bomb-throwers right now in both parties. This is one reason why Bernie is getting so much traction on the Democrat side. The whole country is sick of business as usual, and people are looking for radical change...they're just looking in opposite directions.

well I think he's also getting the "OH GOD! ANYBODY BUT HILLARY!" votes..

Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 08:48:42 pm »

Well yes Jess (I invented the term to encompass all those atrocities!) Obviously I bombed out as a word inventor.

PS

well you know I only have two modes, off and on..there is no dial on this mouth...

Happy that Cruz won, wish he would not try to be what he is not....he's never gonna be 'likeable'. And he needs to get off the "Scriptures tell us"..sounds sappy and contrived.

I have gone a full 24 hours without hearing a quote from Trump...first time in two months I think.

Rubio...blech! someone told me that they would vote for him because "he's so cute"...I was like Seriously? THIS is why some people don't think women should have ever got the vote...
Report Spam   Logged
bradINblue

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 02:12:09 am »

well you know I only have two modes, off and on..there is no dial on this mouth...
Yep

he's never gonna be 'likeable'. And he needs to get off the "Scriptures tell us"..sounds sappy and contrived.
Precisely why he doesn't have a chance in hell......just sayin'

I have gone a full 24 hours without hearing a quote from Trump...first time in two months I think.

And that's why he didn't win IOWAY

Rubio...blech! someone told me that they would vote for him because "he's so cute"...I was like Seriously?

This is what most women and a few men think. Sorry.
Report Spam   Logged

The Maker keeps making but I finally broke through. I love you Steve.
injest
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 08:49:22 pm »

This is what most women and a few men think. Sorry.

well no one is saying he ain't all cute and such but good LORT that is no reason to VOTE for someone!

kids today...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum