The Retreat
March 28, 2024, 08:26:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Retreat.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Gays Want ‘Tech Bros’ Out

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gays Want ‘Tech Bros’ Out  (Read 192 times)
Milo
Global Moderator

« on: February 04, 2016, 07:45:56 am »

Because techies are so big, loud, butch and scary...

San Francisco Gays Want ‘Tech Bros’ Out of Their Neighborhoods

by Jack Hadfield 3 Feb 2016

San Francisco, the gay capital of America, is facing invasion from so-called “tech bros,” according to residents of the city’s famous gay districts who are upset by the growing number of straight people in their communities.

Historically, the LGBT community had forged its own path in the city, creating its own culture in San Francisco “gayborhoods.” Open homosexuality was still not accepted by much of mainstream society, so they stuck together in neighborhoods such as the Castro district.

However, the past decade has seen a dramatic shift in how the majority of Americans view LGBT citizens: with the legalisation of gay marriage in 2015, most Americans now have come to accept gay people. This has led to a much greater integration into the mainstream populace of the LGBT community, which many would believe to be a good thing.

Except some members of the gay community quite like having their own special place. They don’t want to have to cater to straight people the same way that heterosexual folks have accepted them. Quoted in The Guardian, Cleve Jones, a gay activist, saw something that “shocked him” in his local gay bar. “The tech bros had taken over The Mix. They commanded the pool table and the patio. These big, loud, butch guys. It was scary,” he said.

“I’m not heterophobic, but I don’t want to go to a gay bar and buy some guy a drink and have him smirk and tell me he’s straight,” he said. “They can go anywhere. We can’t.”

Some in the LGBT community is having a tough time accepting the new era of integration, and an odd kind of anti-heterosexual intolerance is now occurring.

As the pace of social change accellerates, the gay community is being inexorably drawn into mainstream society. For gay people who liked living the life of outsiders, this represents an existential threat.

Charlie Ballard, a drag queen comedian, complained about the fact that he has to “deal with pseudo-hipster techy types.” Amy Sueyoshi, the associate dean of the College of Ethnic Studies at San Francisco State University, claims she feels “less safe” because of the increase in heterosexual people in her neighborhood.

Sueyoshi went so far to say: “I do like to go to places in and around the Castro for Happy Hour or a snack and I’ve noticed more straight people making out at these places where I go deliberately to NOT feel like I am oppressed by heterosexuality. Really, straight people do you HAVE to make out in the Castro as well? Good Lord.”

No modern-minded straight individual would consider a gay couple kissing near them to be “oppressing them.”

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/02/03/heterophobic-hipster/
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 07:52:50 am by Milo » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

injest
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 11:18:25 pm »

oh that is hilarious...

the world of 'microaggressions' and offended feelings...
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 07:48:51 am »

so basically this is a case of 'be careful what you wish for'...these gay activists wanted to be 'treated like everyone else! Accept us!' and now that they have it; they don't want it.

I guess they didn't think it through that much...for everything you win, there's something lost (Jeez, does EVERYTHING come back to a country song?!)

they thought that straight people would have to adapt to them, never seeing that they also would have to adapt (which, if they had done so before, they would not have half as much to whine about)

Report Spam   Logged
MagicM

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 09:38:10 pm »

It must be catching! Indigenous Australians are saying "we don't want to mix with people who are not like us" as well:

A Queensland University of Technology worker who allegedly told three white students to leave an Indigenous computer lab has launched a $250,000 legal action claiming racial discrimination. When the three male students were attempting to access computers in the Oodgeroo Unit at the university’s Brisbane campus in May 2013, Ms Prior asked them ‘whether they were Indigneous’, according to court documents seen by the Daily Mail.

She allegedly told the men they were in ‘an Indigenous space for Aboriginal Torres Strait students’ and asked them to leave.

A short while later one of the students logged on to the QUT Stalker Space Facebook page to vent about the experience. “I wonder where the white supremacist computer lab is,” Jackson Powell wrote according to court documents....
Report Spam   Logged

“Beauties in vain their pretty eyes may roll; charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.”  Alexander Pope
Milo
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 08:54:23 am »

“I wonder where the white supremacist computer lab is,” Jackson Powell wrote according to court documents.... [/i]

SHHHHHHH!!!...its in my basement.

Report Spam   Logged
Arcadianmemories
Honorary Vice President
cat lover

salvation thru star trek

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 10:45:04 am »

I'm glad that when I was young, oh so long ago,  and frequenting gay bars while in college, there were no straight tourists invading our space.

I understand how these SF queens feel about the "Tech Bros", but ---- the world has changed, and the gay ghetto is now an anachronism.

but, its good to remember the great times gay men had back then without the interference of outsiders.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum