The Retreat
March 29, 2024, 04:17:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Retreat.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Blood Brotherhood by Jack Donovan

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Blood Brotherhood by Jack Donovan  (Read 652 times)
injest
Administrator

« on: June 07, 2009, 08:47:44 am »

http://www.jack-donovan.com/androphilia/?page_id=47

Blood-brotherhoods and similar rites have been employed by men to mark friendships and alliances for thousands of years. Evidence of the practice can be found in the lore, literature and recorded history of most cultures—from Norse and Celtic mythologies to the tribes of Africa, Australian and the South Pacific, to the fiction of Jack London and Mark Twain.

Today, many homosexual men are adopting and adapting marriage rites and relationship ideals that were designed to unite males and females, and which remain steeped in millennia of culture, tradition and imagery inspired by heterosexual unions. Blood-Brotherhood offers an alternative mode of perception: why not remove the feminine element and the trappings of heterosexual romance from the equation altogether and model bonds between androphiles after the bonds that men have made between each other for thousands of years? Why not base these unique unions between men on a tradition that honors male friendship?

although I dont' care myself for the term "campadre" for a partner..seems too flippant, off the cuff, jokey..

I do agree with the sentiment and plan on buying the book.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

injest
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 09:33:22 pm »

I ordered my copy today...has anyone gotten a copy already? are you liking it?

http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/blood-brotherhood-and-other-rites-of-male-alliance/7346767
Report Spam   Logged
bradINblue

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 12:50:08 am »

I ordered my copy today...has anyone gotten a copy already? are you liking it?

http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/blood-brotherhood-and-other-rites-of-male-alliance/7346767

Glad you ordered it. You will read a bit about Steve and I  Wink

Brad
Report Spam   Logged

The Maker keeps making but I finally broke through. I love you Steve.
injest
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 12:51:00 am »

Glad you ordered it. You will read a bit about Steve and I  Wink

Brad

oh really!? you got a copy already?
Report Spam   Logged
bradINblue

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 12:58:52 am »

oh really!? you got a copy already?

No, I don't have a copy yet.

He and I got together several times when he was thinking about writing the book. Then, he sent me parts of the manuscript, and we worked through aspects of it. When he wrote about Steve and I, he wanted to correctly portray it, so he went to the source.

Brad
Report Spam   Logged

The Maker keeps making but I finally broke through. I love you Steve.
injest
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 06:50:30 am »

No, I don't have a copy yet.

He and I got together several times when he was thinking about writing the book. Then, he sent me parts of the manuscript, and we worked through aspects of it. When he wrote about Steve and I, he wanted to correctly portray it, so he went to the source.

Brad

well I am really looking forward to it! I was telling Milo, he warns that some of it is kinda...well..bloody, but I was hoping SOME of it wasn't life threatening at least.. Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Milo
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 07:41:25 am »

EXCELLENT!!! I can hardly wait to read it.
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 07:43:17 pm »

ok. ya'll tell me the truth...is anyone getting this book any time soon? cause if you are, I'll wait to read it...

It is DEFINITELY written for men...I am so curious as to your opinions of some of his points! the first few paragraphs already open up some questions for me...I dont' want to do spoilers if ya'll are gonna be getting a copy soon...
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 07:09:58 am »

ok.

well.

He talks in the first chapter of the idea of blood letting...how for women, blood letting is a natural expression of womanhood (the menstrual cycle and birth), something that just happens with no intent; for men, blood letting is an intentional act that is inflicted by them or to them.

which made me think of the practice some women have of cutting themselves, I have never heard of a man doing that; and I wonder if it is a way women having of trying to carve (excuse the pun) this 'center of calm' that men are supposed to provide for women...(supposed to should be in quotes...I know in the modern world and women are all liberated and stuff but women that cut are women that have been actively abused by men, so her 'center' has been destroyed)

and yes I know Blood Brothers is about men...it is just a stray thought...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 11:07:34 am by injest » Report Spam   Logged
Milo
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 09:50:43 am »

ok. ya'll tell me the truth...is anyone getting this book any time soon? cause if you are, I'll wait to read it...

It is DEFINITELY written for men...I am so curious as to your opinions of some of his points! the first few paragraphs already open up some questions for me...I dont' want to do spoilers if ya'll are gonna be getting a copy soon...

Don't wait on my account. For these last couple of weeks its been sing, eat, sleep, and go to work for me. After CINDERELLA closes, I'll have time to start reading. I'm behind on my BBM fan fiction too.
Report Spam   Logged
MagicM

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 02:26:11 am »

ok.

well.

He talks in the first chapter of the idea of blood letting...how for women, blood letting is a natural expression of womanhood (the menstrual cycle and birth), something that just happens with no intent; for men, blood letting is an intentional act that is inflicted by them or to them.

which made me think of the practice some women have of cutting themselves, I have never heard of a man doing that; and I wonder if it is a way women having of trying to carve (excuse the pun) this 'center of calm' that men are supposed to provide for women...(supposed to should be in quotes...I know in the modern world and women are all liberated and stuff but women that cut are women that have been actively abused by men, so her 'center' has been destroyed)

and yes I know Blood Brothers is about men...it is just a stray thought...

Jess women who self harm are known to do this to neutralise emotional pain and self soothe when in a state of anxiety.
Report Spam   Logged

“Beauties in vain their pretty eyes may roll; charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.”  Alexander Pope
injest
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 06:04:11 am »

Jess women who self harm are known to do this to neutralise emotional pain and self soothe when in a state of anxiety.

yes...and they dont' feel 'safe' or they wouldn't be in a state of anxiety.

Donovan  puts forth the idea that in a healthy society, men are the warriors and hunters that provide a safe place for women to live and go about their business of producing and raising children. And as unPC as that is, when you get down to the biology of it all, that is what men and women are for.

and we all do believe in the theory of evolution right? we are basically well developed animals?

well, yes we no longer live a hunter/gather lifestyle but instincts are instincts...so even if a woman does not consciously look to men for protection; on some level, some basic biological level, we depend on them to behave a certain way.

In every case of cutting I have ever heard of, the woman/girl has been abused....she has no safe place, there was no protection.

I am just contemplating the idea that these women are on some level trying to be their own warriors, they cut themselves because they know they can't cut their 'enemy'...

the SOURCE of the emotional pain these women feel is the loss of safety.
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 12:44:18 am »

two issues with Mr Donovan...one he is WAY too far into the drinking blood thing and two, he has an instinct to seperate from society too much...for everyone to go their own way...

I think androphiles have a LOT to contribute to society...

to me the whole concept of blood brothers thru history has been to provide a recognised relationship that others in society not only accept but honor. If there is no standard, no agreement then where is that recognition?

or am I just confused with it being 1 in the morning and all?
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 10:17:28 am »

I love reading a book like this behind my boys...this passage is highlighted..

It is this profound level of sincerity, devotion, trust and loyalty that is being advocated here. If you can not trust a blood-brother to be honest about his intentions or potential health concerns, why would you pledge your life to him?

the underline under trust is HEAVY....something the boys have been struggling with this summer I think..
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 10:54:17 pm »

I LOVE the stories about the blood brothers from around the world! It is fascinating and compelling reading...

particularly loved the story of "Eagle and Lizard"...it is interesting to me that so many cultures all over the world have stories whose morals all boil down to the same ideals. We are more alike than we are different..
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 11:00:54 pm by injest » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum