The Retreat
March 29, 2024, 07:46:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Retreat.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Internet Pirate Party wins seat in European Union

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Internet Pirate Party wins seat in European Union  (Read 96 times)
injest
Administrator

« on: June 07, 2009, 08:27:20 pm »

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25603000-12377,00.html

A POLITICAL party that represents internet pirates has been voted into the European Parliament.

Sweden's Pirate Party wants to deregulate copyright, abolish the patent system and reduce surveillance on the internet.

It captured 7.1 per cent of Swedish votes in the Europe-wide ballot – enough to win it a seat.

"This is fantastic," said the party's top candidate, Christian Engstrom.

"This shows that there are a lot of people who think that personal integrity is important and that it matters that we deal with the internet and the new information society in the right way."

Sweden’s Pirate Party was founded in 2006 after the country authorised email monitoring and tightened file-sharing laws.

The party's membership bounced in April when the founders of the Pirate Bay, a popular BitTorrent tracker based in Sweden, were sentenced to a year in jail for running the website.

The defendants have called for a retrial.

“When the verdict was announced at 11.00am, we had 14,711 members,” the Pirate Party's founder Rick Falkvinge told TimesOnline.co.uk.

“We tripled in a week, becoming the third-biggest party in Sweden in terms of numbers. All of a sudden we were everywhere.”

Despite the similar names, the party and the website are not linked.

The party was founded in 2006 and contested a Swedish general election that year, but received less than one per cent of the vote.

The party promotes civil liberties and has a core following of young, male internet users.

"We are very strong among those under 30," Mr Engstrom said.

"They are the ones who understand the new world the best. And they have now signalled they don't like how the big parties deal with these issues."

The Pirate Party will take up one of Sweden's 18 seats in the 785-seat parliament.

"We will use all of our strength to defend personal integrity and our civil rights," Mr Engstrom said.

talk about Newspeak!! so stealing people's creations is a matter of civil liberties... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Arcadianmemories
Honorary Vice President
cat lover

salvation thru star trek

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 08:34:19 pm »

seems like a victory for libertarians! I am surprised!
Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 08:40:23 pm »

seems like a victory for libertarians! I am surprised!

oh no, you are not in the fanfics group insisting anything is fair game??

I am a little wishy washy about the situation because I feel if I buy the CD I should be able to do with it what I want to...except make money off it..

but the companies have gotten so nasty you can't even have music playing in the room you are filming in without being erased off Youtube over it...
Report Spam   Logged
Arcadianmemories
Honorary Vice President
cat lover

salvation thru star trek

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 10:02:45 pm »

I think that information is difficult to suppress when you give it access to the public sector. I am all in favor of intellectual property rights, but to suppress the internet's distribution of something that is open to the public anyway is madness. Its like burning all paper so no copies of books will be made. Technologically it isn 't that difficult to encode intellectual property so that it can't be viewed without paying a fee.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum