The Retreat
April 19, 2024, 11:01:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Retreat.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

5 Superpowers You Didn't Know Your Body Was Hiding From You

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 Superpowers You Didn't Know Your Body Was Hiding From You  (Read 142 times)
injest
Administrator

« on: September 20, 2009, 11:23:46 pm »

http://www.cracked.com/article/114_5-superpowers-you-didnt-know-your-body-was-hiding-from-you/

way cool stories...

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

delalluvia

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 05:00:03 pm »

Interesting, but all perfectly normal.  Everyone knows about adrenaline kicks and endorphin pain killers, we all have echolocation, we're just not very good at it.  The time manipulation thing is neat.  One book I read, tied this to brain synapses firing.  They fire - on a normal day in a normal situation, taking stock of what's going on - X number of times per second.  But when you're in a stressful situation, the synapses fire faster in the old flight or fight reaction, so time seems to slow down when actually your brain is just processing faster.  It's pretty cool though.

The perfect memory lady I have my doubts about.  If no one else remembers what she was doing when she was 8 years old sitting on the pot, who can gainsay her?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 06:18:10 pm by delalluvia » Report Spam   Logged
injest
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 05:44:06 pm »

Interesting, but all perfectly normal.  Everyone knows about adrenaline kicks and endorphin pain killers, we all have echolocation, we're just not very good at it.  The time manipulation thing is neat.  One book I read, tied this to brain synapses firing.  They do - on a normal day in a normal situation, taking stock of what's going on - X number of times per second.  But when you're in a stressful situation, the synapses fire faster in the old flight or fight reaction, so time seems to slow down when actually your brain is just processing faster.  It's pretty cool though.

The perfect memory lady I have my doubts about.  If no one else remembers what she was doing when she was 8 years old sitting on the pot, who can gainsay her?

good point.

I guess they use public knowledge stuff and just take the rest on faith...but as you say, who knows? just remembering the public stuff is pretty amazing to people like me that can't remember where they took their shoes off at...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum